Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help! How do I reconnect an Internal USB device???  (Read 2484 times)

Natalie

Help! How do I reconnect an Internal USB device???
« on: March 11, 2006, 03:04:39 AM »
Hi,
I am becoming quite desperate now.... I have an embedded fingerprint reader on my laptop, and for some reason it's saying one of 2 things: either code 45 telling me it's not plugged in and to reconnect it (how do I do this when its built in??) or at other times it's saying there is an unknown device and telling me to disconnect it. I can't go into hardware troubleshooting under control panel because it's saying it's trying to install something (for the last 2 weeks!?) and also when I try and safely disconnect the printer (apparently in the same root hub as the fingerprint reader/unknown device) it says I can't as another program is accesing it when as far as I know there isn't. It's driving me mad as I am getting a permanent beeping as if I'm connecting and disconnecting a usb device constatntly. I'm not very technical but please somebody help me out! Thanks, Natalie

Backdated

Re: Help! How do I reconnect an Internal USB devic
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 04:23:22 AM »
These biometric devices have turned out to be a disaster in a lot of cases. Before we begin. Is the machine still under warranty and have you contacted the manufacturers support team?

Natalie

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 10:00:23 PM »
Yes, its only 3 months old. Its an HP laptop - have contacted HP numerous times through the online instant support chat thing but they haven't really been much help, I have just downloaded loads of things that haven't changed what's going on. When I have directly asked about the fingerprint reader, the issue has been nicely skirted around and diverted to more downloads and windows updates that haven't helped either. When I tried to ring, I got put through to somewhere in Europe and was on hold for ages then was cut off. I can't seem to find a local place to take it to either (that will take a look under warranty without charging me).

Backdated

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 07:51:41 AM »
If you're in the UK, write to them and tell them that they have seven days to resolve the issue satisfactorily and finally or you will pass the matter on to the various consumer organisations and use the courts if necessary. Explain to them that in a competitive market such as the computer market, the bad publicity that you will ensure is generated is the last thing they need.
Other countries may have similar consumer rights legislation in place.

Natalie

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 09:48:24 AM »
Ok, will do, thanks: yes am in UK. I guess that means there's no simple way for me to reconnect it myself then. Oh well, worth a try. Cheers

Backdated

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 10:03:29 AM »
Trying to would probably invalidate any warranty and let them off the hook completely.
Remember to communicate via recorded delivery only.

Natalie

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 11:39:50 AM »
Ah, very good point about recorded delivery! Thanks!