Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: regfix.com  (Read 3868 times)

shell26

regfix.com
« on: April 03, 2006, 06:10:47 AM »
my sister is running windows xp on a laptop which was badly infected with spyware. We run ewido and removed what it found (alexa and eurocliock).
She is getting pop ups that tell her that there is problems with the registry. they look like genuine windows warnings. they tell her to go to registryfix and to regfix.info    
Is this safe to do or is this more spyware?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 09:17:23 AM by shell26 »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: regfix.com
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 08:28:02 AM »
More spyware.  Genuine Windows popups do not tell you to go to places other than Microsoft.com...
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

shell26

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 09:25:51 AM »
Thanks. Any ideas on how to remove this spyware? I thought her hijackthis log looked o.k.
Ran Ewido and spybot in safe mode but they arent picking anything else up. I then went to zonelabs to get her a firewall, and
did the free check  and it showed up alexa toolbar. (after deleting alexa  from the ewido quarantine)
Anyone know the name of the spyware that sends these bogus windows warnings?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 09:37:26 AM »
I bet these things are popping up with Internet Explorer?  I suggest you wait for one of our resident spyware removal experts here to come along and provide further instructions.  :)
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

shell26

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 09:39:42 AM »
thanks    :)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 02:48:18 PM »
     shell27......
    Alexa Toolbars 4, 5, and 6 may also be uninstalled using your computer’s Add/Remove Programs feature. Open your Windows Start menu, go to Settings, click on Control Panel, and then double click on Add/Remove Programs. Click on Alexa and then click the remove button. The next time you open a new browser window, the toolbar should be gone.
    Tools which you should have available for the prevention and control of Malware ....:
    A proven anti virus program ........ with the latest updates
    Spybot Search and Destroy ( with Resident activated) ......with the latest updates
    Ad-Aware SE personal ......with the latest updates
    MicroSoft AntiSpyware beta.......
    CCleaner ...... with the latest updates  run this at least once a day .
    Ewido .......

It might also be prudent to run a scan with hijackthis and post it here .
    If this laptop is (was) full of crap , it would be a good idea to run all the above mentioned apps from the safe mode .......... ( with the system restore turned off )
    Don't get into the habit of clicking on something offered by a warning popup   it is almost always trying to sell you something by suggesting that your machine is infected and in a few minutes it will be running like new..... they usually will do some sort of a scan and then tell you that there are all these issues ....... Then the kicker ......... please have your credit card handy and click here ....... and all the issues will be fixed ........ LOL

dl65  ::)

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.