Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Overclocking question???  (Read 1898 times)

Robilcorb

Overclocking question???
« on: March 23, 2006, 07:31:43 PM »
Hey,

I just purchased a Radeon X800GTO IceQ II Turbo 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 video card and it came with an overclocking program.  I have a Dell 4700 Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 512MB RAM computer.

Based on my system, and the card itself, is it wise to run the overclocking program?  I'm not even really sure what an overclocker does except increase GHz on the card or maximize bus speed...something like that.  I also know it can cause heating issues.  If its safe, I would like to run it; better graphic performance is always a good thing.

Could someone please tell me what an overclocker does and the best way to go about it, if it is safe?

TN2COOL

Re: Overclocking question???
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 11:34:15 PM »
Overclocking that card WILL NOT produce any better results, maybe 2-4 FPS at most.  Why? Because that card's pipelines are already bombarded with tons of instructions whenever your playing games, so OCing might lead to crashes ect.  There's lots of guides online if you search though, I haven't played around with ATI cards however.

GX1_Man

Re: Overclocking question???
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 07:41:59 PM »
A hard core overclocker doesn't use software to achieve results. I agree that the gains are minimal if any, and there are risks to doing more than an item was designed for.