Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: formatting harddrives  (Read 3263 times)

sparky0277

formatting harddrives
« on: August 20, 2004, 06:54:08 PM »
Hi, I need some advice/tips on how to do something if anyone here could plz do so. I put together a new computer and bought a new SATA harddrive. It was simple to format as it comes with the software to do so. Then I installed the harddrive (labeled drive E) from my old computer as a slave to the new SATA drives master. My question is: how can i reformat drive E (the slave) and better yet write all zeros to it deleting all data, so that I can use it as a pure storage drive? Most things I can figure out for myself but was a little nervous to experiment with this with little knowledge as I dont want to accidently mess up my loaded new hard drive.  My operating system is winxp home, my master hard drive is labeled "D" and is manufactured by Maxtor. My slave harddrive is labeled "E" and is a ATA made by western digital. If anyone cares to tell me how to do this I would much appreciate it....thank you  ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 06:55:27 PM by sparky0277 »

2k dummy

Re: formatting harddrives
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 09:54:03 PM »
If you're sure there is nothing on it that needs to be recovered, just go My computer, right click on the drive icon, and select Format.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 03:33:10 AM »
You could use a a driver cleaner program to completely erase all data.

sparky0277

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 05:12:51 AM »
is driver cleaner software downloadable from online or is this something that i need to purchase?

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 05:15:35 AM »
I never used that type of software myself, but if you wish to thoroughly clean your harddisk a program such as Evidence Eliminator or Driver Cleaner that comes with System Mechanic Pro are good choices. Both of these programs you are going to have to buy a license for, but perhaps there is a free trail avaible.