Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is it possible to install win xp twice?  (Read 1954 times)

slugsbunny

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • packin' heat
    Is it possible to install win xp twice?
    « on: April 08, 2006, 01:59:33 PM »
    Is is possible to install windows xp pro and the same hdd twice. Like one for on a fat32 partition and the other on an ntfs partition?

Oh and is a there a way to resize the C: partition on a hard drive?

Thanks in advance for any help.

GX1_Man

Re: Is it possible to install win xp twice?
    « Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 02:12:56 PM »
    Is is possible to install windows xp pro and the same hdd twice. Like one for on a fat32 partition and the other on an ntfs partition?

Don't know why you would want to, and not sure about the activation scheme through Microsoft, but you can try.  Different user accounts seems more reasonable. What are you trying to accomplish?

Oh and is a there a way to resize the C: partition on a hard drive?

Not without some partitioning utility UNLESS you do it when loading XP.

slugsbunny

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • packin' heat
      « Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 02:48:31 PM »
      Don't know why you would want to, and not sure about the activation scheme through Microsoft, but you can try.  Different user accounts seems more reasonable. What are you trying to accomplish?

The reason being my sister has winme and has some files on it which she needs and currently has little hdd space(on C:\). So I'm thinking installing winxp on a new fat 32 partition on the new hard drive she bought and making the rest of the partitions ntfs and installing xp there as well since its better than fat 32 but the filesystems aren't compatible so I can't drag from one drive to the next. I'm interested to hear if this is possible.

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
        « Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 07:53:40 PM »
        Wouldn't it be easier to backup the files on CDs, format the drive as an NTFS, and install XP on that drive? If there's little room on C: then installing another OS would be murder on what's left.
        "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Scourged

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 10:43:49 AM »
        Xp can read and write fat and ntfs partitions but what your trying to is well ott.

Settra

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 02:53:38 AM »
        to answer your question, yes.

I have done this (not on purpose..windows died and i couldn't repair) and it works fine. You just choose the install on boot.

But, as everyone else said..no point.