Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: processer upgrade  (Read 2706 times)

acidmaker21

processer upgrade
« on: April 17, 2006, 03:38:03 PM »
i just bought a pentium 4 chip. (just the chip.)

i have a problem.  i previously had a pentium 2 chip.  it looks like a sega genesis cartridge.  HELP!!!! how can i use this chip.
i have a compaq deskpro, and it is pretty old.

ideas, anyone?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 03:40:37 PM by acidmaker21 »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: processer upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 04:45:33 PM »
By "chip", I presume you mean processor.  I doubt very much that you'll be able to use the Pentium 4 processor in your aging computer.  You really should have researched this before buying a processor.  But, I can tell you it's highly unlikely you can use it; you would need a newer motherboard to support the Pentium IV.   And, upgrading motherboards in systems with proprietary components, which is often the case with the major computer brands, is a shakey proposition.  Standard motherboards may not fit in the computer case.  And, the computer may have a proprietary power supply that won't work with a standard ATX or microATX motherboard due to non-standard power connectors on your power supply.  Also, the power supply simply may not be adequate for a more powerful system.

If you're not prepared to basically build a new system yourself and you still have the option to return that processor, I think you should return it.

GX1_Man

Re: processer upgrade
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 05:04:40 PM »
A Pentium 4 chip is NOT usable in a Pentium II motherboard. End of story.  ;)