Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Connecting two computers trough an internet cable  (Read 5009 times)

Blackberry

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • For those with wings, fly to your dreams.
    Connecting two computers trough an internet cable
    « on: May 10, 2006, 05:24:08 AM »
    Hi there,

I'm here to ask a complicated thing. Most of you guys know that I don't speak verry good english, but I'll try to do my best. The thing that I want to do is the following: I have two windows xp computers, which are connected with the internet (trough a rauter). If I want to copy a file, I can do this because (by sharing maps in windows xp) and because I'm behind a rauter. But is it possible to connect two PC's with eachother (without a rauter) just by an internet cable? Which software should I use? I'll think I need a crossed cable, but even if I have that, I won't be able to see an hard drive of the other computer. (to be clear, I want to connect two computers, without the internet, without a rauter, just with an internet cable in the other computer)

greetz

blackberry  :D
    Everybody knows you can't click here. But I know you will try it :)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Connecting two computers trough an internet ca
    « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 05:49:06 AM »
    Yes, you can do this.  You need a "crossover cable".  Set IP addresses within the same subnet, e.g. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2, and assign the same workgroup, e.g. "HOME".  File and print sharing should then work.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Blackberry

Topic Starter

Adviser
      « Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 08:01:03 AM »
      Yes, you can do this.  You need a "crossover cable".  Set IP addresses within the same subnet, e.g. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2, and assign the same workgroup, e.g. "HOME".  File and print sharing should then work.

How do I set the ip adresses in the same subnet? Another question, should this work with an non-windows xp computer too? I have a sort of 'machine' that only works as ftp-server. It's a sort of hard-drive with an ethernet connection, but there isn't software to install on your computer, how do I connect this one?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      « Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 08:18:36 AM »
      Your FTP server machine, do you know what its IP address is?  Can you change that IP address?  I'll answer your other questions once you've replied.

Blackberry

Topic Starter

Adviser
        « Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 08:39:07 AM »
        Your FTP server machine, do you know what its IP address is?  Can you change that IP address?  I'll answer your other questions once you've replied.

Well normaly his IP is: 192.168.0.256. But I think that is the IP-adress if i'm behind a router. But if I only will put a cable between the "machine" and the "computer" I don't see the "machine DRIVE" on my computer, so that's my problem. I can change the IP of the machine, but how do I make that I see the HD (of my machine) on my computerscreen

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
          • Me
        « Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 09:18:13 AM »
        Well normaly his IP is: 192.168.0.256.
        That can't be right.  255 is the maximum.

Whatever, just to be sure this works, change the IP address of your FTP machine to 192.168.1.255.  Then change the IP address of your computer to 192.168.1.1.  Connect a crossover cable between the two.  Then, from your computer, do "ftp 192.168.1.255".  It should work.

In answer to your earlier question, yes any device that complies with the TCP/IP protocol can sit on the same network as your XP machine.

Blackberry

Topic Starter

Adviser
          « Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 10:39:12 AM »
          Well normaly his IP is: 192.168.0.256.
          That can't be right.  255 is the maximum.

typo, its 192.168.0.156

Then change the IP address of your computer to 192.168.1.1.  Connect a crossover cable between the two.  Then, from your computer, do "ftp 192.168.1.255".  It should work.

How do I change my computer IP? I'm not sure, but could it work without changing my computer ip? Because I only need the ip of my "machine"

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
            • Me
          « Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 08:41:01 AM »
          Yes, you will have to change the IP address of your computer.  Have look at my half-finished FAQ re networking.  That will help your understanding of this point, and also point you to the correct settings.