Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CCleaner query  (Read 4391 times)

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

CCleaner query
    « on: May 17, 2006, 11:58:36 AM »
    A few weeks ago I installed CCleaner and I run it regularly and all seems well.

My query is - when "Analysis Complete, x number of MB to be removed, Run Cleaner, Cleaning Complete"  has been registered, if I then click "Analyze" again, another, apparently different, list appears and can be cleaned and the process can be repeated again.

I stop and close the programme after a couple of repeats of this - I just wonder what is best to do - there seems to be no indication that the cleaning is complete.

Thanks for any replies.

I have AMD Sempron 2800+, 768 RAM, Windows XP SP2

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: CCleaner query
    « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 01:43:29 PM »
    Specifically, which part of CCleaner are you talking about?  The Windows  cleaning tells you immediately after executing the cleanup that "CLEANING COMPLETE", and tells you how much disk space was freed up.  As I recall, Applications cleanup does the same.  

In the Issues screen, you first scan, then click the button for Fix selected issues.  An immediate subsequent scan may yield more items, but the number will usually be small compared to the first scan.  If you keep repeating the Issues scan and it reports additional items found and the same items reappear, then you have a valid question to raise about why subsequent/repeated scans continue to identify items for removal.
    « Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 01:45:09 PM by soybean »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 02:18:56 PM »
       silkie........  
      I just wonder what is best to do - there seems to be no indication that the cleaning is complete.

Odd..... I use CCleaner every day and have never seen what you are describing ......
      When I click ...... RUN CLEANER   ........ immediately there is a pop-up box , which says This process will permantley delete files from your system . Are you sure you wish to continue ? ........... Then click OK    ( or cancel )  If you clicked OK  ....... you will see activity on the progress bar in ccleaner and then you will see...... Cleaning complete as well as the amount removed .

Are you certain you have your ccleaner properly configured ?

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 06:28:25 PM »
        Soybean -

The first option "Cleaner" is the bit I'm querying. All is well as I follow instructions and I get to "Cleaning Complete". It's when I click "Analyze" again that I get a different list to be cleaned. I can't think now why, in the first place, I tried Analyze again!

d165 -

You mention configuration. I installed CCleaner on the advice given in a previous forum reply to another problem
        and used your advice posting on this (thank you for that) so I'm sure that is all ok. I get the same results as you describe, except for this repeat process.

I would have thought that there would be some note to the effect that nothing else needed cleaning.

I hope this is not a sillly question, but have you tried clicking "Analyze" after the first run of the cleaner?

Thanks for your interest.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 08:21:29 PM »

I hope this is not a sillly question, but have you tried clicking "Analyze" after the first run of the cleaner?

You mean IMMEDIATELY after, right?  Yes, I have, and it shows no more items to be removed.  

Were you using the computer while CCleaner was analyzing and cleaning?  

Fed

• Sage
          « Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 12:37:06 AM »
          Try ccleaner>Options>Advanced>Untick the 48 hour blah blah box.

infoseeker

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 12:46:19 AM »
          I would have thought that there would be some note to the effect that nothing else needed cleaning.

Are you surfing the internet while you using the CCleaner?
          if that so, it will not really clean all the necessary.
          close all program (specially internet browser) while ccleaner is running

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 04:34:59 AM »
            In response to replies I've checked configuration again - all ok.
            I've run CCleaner with only AOL isp open (not actually surfing) and get the same results - a different list of items to be removed if I click "Analyze" immediately after "Run Cleaner".  However, I've also run it with no AOL and there is some change - after 2 or 3 goes of Analyze/Run Cleaner "Cleaning Complete" comes up with "0 bytes removed". I presume this really is the sign that the cleaning is finished.
            Is this where I've been going wrong - running with other programmes open?  What is the best time to run the cleaner?

infoseeker

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 06:25:26 AM »
            Is this where I've been going wrong - running with other programmes open?  What is the best time to run the cleaner?
            Yes, running another program is not wrong but (most) program while they are running even at the back they are logging file which CCLEANER analyzing it and clean it
            i read that most of the user of this programs (like me) running the CCCEANER is at windows start-up and before shutdown

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 12:50:23 PM »
              silkie...... As , infoseeker  has pointed out any another application running will add create additional entries . The whole point of running the CCleaner is to clean out the machine .  
                ......  Yes , I have and once its completed cleaning there's nothing additional ....but then I never run cleaner when something else is active ........
              As a matter of good practice ...... one should never run cleaning apps or bug scanners with anything else running to achieve the best results.
              The other thing is that CCLeaner does its job so fast ( given that one runs it daily ) why would you want to be multitasking ?

dl65  ::)
              « Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 12:52:30 PM by dl65 »
              If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 09:39:02 AM »
                OK guys - I'll take your advice - thanks again.