Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cant load windows  (Read 2289 times)

boomer

cant load windows
« on: May 06, 2006, 07:46:07 AM »
my dads computer wont start windows, when it tries to start it it just restarts the whole computer. same with safe mode, etc. what should i do?

boomer

Re: cant load windows
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 08:13:40 AM »
oh yeah, the cd rom drive isnt working either, so i cant use a windows xp cd to try and boot from....

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 11:56:27 AM »
So it is not that it won't start Windows, it is that it won't start. It is a hardware problem. What happened prior to this? Do you have any experience fixing computers? It might be best to go to the shop. How about some details about the machine.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 01:12:57 PM »
It sounds like that new virus, W32/IRCbot.worm!MS05-039:
Indications of Infection
If this worm is run on a system which has not yet been patched for the MS05-039 vulnerability, it may reboot.  
 (and that means reboot continuously)

Read more about it here:
http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=135491

If you have a boot disk for DOS or something like that, you might have a chance of fixing your computer yourself, or it could also be a hardware problem. Do you see the BIOS screen while starting the computer?

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 06:32:36 PM »
I'll stick with a hardware issue.  ;)

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 06:49:26 PM »
GX1_Man, I have a quick question:
If Boomers computer does display the BIOS or the startup screen for the computer (not the OS) then would it still be a hardware problem? One thing I would like to know is if only the OS can be affected by a hardware problem.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 05:56:15 AM »
A BIOS screen takes minimal computer resources, whereas when Windows starts it's gyrations it taxes the system. I am unclear from the original poster's message how far into the process this happens, but it sounds like quikly. As you know a hardware problem can stop a computer booting at ANY point in a variety of ways.

bootless

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 01:47:56 AM »
Aloha -- I believe I am having a similar problem with my HP Pavillion a255c desktop, with a Pentium 4 and windows xp.  I ran my norton virus scan on the c drive 3 days ago -- and when I came home, there was a black screen with NTLDR is missing message.  Then press ctrl+alt+del  to restart (which doesn't work).  The only F key that works is F1.

I have my backup windows files on a d: partition -- not on a disc.  I downloaded discs as directed when I got it, but it will not boot from them.  I got a friend's windows xp boot disc and can boot from that, but it takes me to choices i'm not familiar with.  

...to set up windows xp press enter
...to repair windows xp installation using recovery console press r (I tried this and it takes me to D:  where my backup is -- but it gives me DOS codes and i'm afraid i might put in the wrong thing.

Any recommendations? :-?

Bootless