Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB graphics device detected but won't function  (Read 1903 times)

johnwakefield

USB graphics device detected but won't function
« on: June 09, 2006, 08:24:29 AM »
I've got an ELMO P30 visual presenter.
I run 13 laptops and the device allows you to capture images on its still camera on all but two of them.
On two identical laptops you get messages like "unable to acquire image" depending on what software you're running even though Device Manager shows it as being OK.
The device is TWAIN compliant.
How do I start troubleshooting this?

pcdoc4christ

Re: USB graphics device detected but won't functio
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 06:06:56 PM »
John:

Try going to the Web sites of the laptop and ELMO P30 makers and see if they have any software or driver updates to correct the problem.

Doc

johnwakefield

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 09:32:35 AM »
 I already did. And phoned their helplines etc. Does anyone know of any software tools that would allow me to analyse what's going on?

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 01:14:05 PM »
...Does anyone know of any software tools that would allow me to analyse what's going on?

No.

However, if you want to try to nail down the cause, start with determining what is different about the two laptop computers.  For example, if the two have the exact same operating system and service packs installed as the other 11 laptop computers and are using the exact same device drivers, then you might rule out software as the cause and start looking at the hardware.  

If the two have the exact same hardware as the other 11 laptop computers, then look at the BIOS version numbers.  Perhaps the BIOSes of the other 11 laptop computers were upgraded, but the BIOSes of the two have not been upgraded.  In this case, flashing the BIOS of the two laptops with the problem may fix it.

You can also look at the two with the problem and try to determine what they have exactly in common with one another and what they do not have in common.  What they have in common is more likely the cause of the problem.

It's like trying to solve a mystery.  The thing is, you have a better grasp of the clues to solve the problem then we do.  If you have some ideas of what is different about the two laptops with the problem let us know.  Perhaps we will be able to solve the mystery together.

Doc
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 01:18:21 PM by pcdoc4christ »