Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot boot up or reinstall...Help please!  (Read 2097 times)

goatboy

Cannot boot up or reinstall...Help please!
« on: June 13, 2006, 02:51:09 PM »
Hi guys. Im a noob so please be gentle . :) My knowledge is very limited

After having various probs with my pc crashing and being sluggish, I decided to do a reinstall of XP.

- I inserted the disc and selected a complete reinstall. After a minute or two of copying files and stuff, the system began to reboot.
- Then for some reason it gave me this message saying that "hal.dll" is missing or corrupt. So I could not continue

- To cut a long story short, if I now restart, (with the disc in the drive, it will not give me the chance to get into the recovery console) I get to the screen where it asks if I want to continue XP setup, or just boot my existing XP.
If I select continue xp setup, I get this:

"load needed DLLs for kernel"

and if I opt for booting my existing XP I get the message about hal.dll again!

- Theres more... Sometimes, but not every time, it gives me the chance to boot from the XP cd when I start up. I press any key and a blue screen comes up and it starts doing all sorts of normal installation stuff. Then it says it is going to start windows, but then another blue screen comes up and says it cannot detect any hard disk drives and cannot continue!

Basically, I cant get anywhere near the normal XP window screen or make any progress at all with the reinstall. I have tried getting into windows with safe mode as well and that does nothing.

Please help guys...I need my PC working! Some of my work depends on it. Luckily I did backup important files on my 2nd drive which does not have XP installed.

If you can help please keep it VERY simple language and if you tell me to do something please try to explain it step by step. Sorry but I really am way out of my depth here!

Much appreciated. What would we do without forums like this?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Cannot boot up or reinstall...Help please!
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 04:38:42 PM »
     goatboy....... Do you have an original MS Win XP cd or is it a install /restore cd set that came with the machine ?  
    If its an original xp cd ....does it include SP1 and or SP2 ?
    Is the original cd clean and in good condition ?
    If the answer to the above is yes to all .........
    Go into the bios and change the boot sequence to cd-rom 1st boot ...... then remember to save the change and exit............. Now put the original XP cd in the cd-rom and reboot ........ follow the instructions on the screen ........ Dont forget to remove any partitions that may have been created . DON'T use the repair console ..........   You want a complete new install.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.