Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Processor Decisions and the new Pentium5...  (Read 3366 times)

MdDg37

Processor Decisions and the new Pentium5...
« on: August 30, 2004, 01:44:25 AM »
I'm putting together a computer and would really appreciate help.

I have 1 GB of DDR2 SDRAM, and a 250 GB HD. My question relates to the processor...is there any noticeable performance difference between a Pentium4 (HT, 800FSB) 3.2GHz (540) and 3.4GHz (550) processor? The price difference is about $120. Which would you choose?

As an aside question...I have been reading about Intel's new "Core" (Prescott from Northwood)... this article suggests that the Pentium 5 is due out shortly and will rate great improvements. Does anyone have any sense of when it is due out? Is this new CPU close enough to release that I should maybe wait if not in any major rush? (Any chance the P5 would fit the P4 motherboard I bought "today"?).

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040201/prescott-30.html

Thank you *very much* for your help!

chade

Re: Processor Decisions and the new Pentium5...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 06:53:52 AM »
Is there a performance difference?  Yes, there probably is.  Is it noticable?  Probably not even in the slightest except under EXTREME load, and even there the performance difference will be negligable.

I'd choose the cheaper option - top end processors do not provide value for money.  High end hardware is simply a cash cow for manufactureres - the hardware you pay top dollar for today you can buy for half the price in less than six months, as newer products push them down the performance scale (and thus make them less desirable to performance freaks).

About your aside - Intel certainly has plans for a new 'socket' for their chips - this *may* be worth hanging out for.  I'm generally not a fan of hanging out for new tech - you'll be waiting forever.  First you'll want a mobo with the new socket, then you'll consider maybe you want to wait longer and get that mobo that supports PCI-Express, then you read about a new Northbridge chip that will improve performance further, etc etc.  The only exception to this for me is a truly 'ground breaking' technology - and they are usually expensive, and often a bit flaky in their first implementation (or at least very much more impressive a few months further down the line).  Of course if you buy your new motherboard now you will cut yourself out of the new processors upgrade path - but expect to see P4s in their current pinned configuration (and at faster speeds) for a while yet.

Basically, unless you're cashed up, and a big fan of the bleeding edge, it's very rarely worth waiting, and rarely worth paying top dollar for.

MdDg37

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 12:55:45 PM »
Chade...thank you very much for your reply...it was exactly what I needed to hear/know.

My current system helped me through grad school, but is now clearly dated and somewhat limiting. I'm not a big gamer so the "datedness" issue was slower to present...but still I am running into hardware and program compatability issues that the little fixes don't quite fix anymore.

The rather large cost of a new system is inevitable for sure, but the age old fear of immediate obsolesence (64 bit OSs, P5, etc.) makes it a little tougher to pull the trigger (oh to be rich ;o) ).

What you said about there always being something else "better/improved" around the corner is so true. I guess it is time to just jump in. (...and do so with the P4 3.2 GHz).

Thank you again!!

P.S. Where did this expression under my username come from? "I love YaBB 1G - SP1!"
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 12:58:45 PM by MdDg37 »

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 04:34:10 PM »
P.S. Where did this expression under my username come from? "I love YaBB 1G - SP1!"  

Forum default.

Edit your title by going to the Profile option.