Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Baffled by webcam install  (Read 2393 times)

Bulwark

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Baffled by webcam install
    « on: June 23, 2006, 08:41:37 PM »
    Windows XP Home SP.2 fully updated.  Zone Alarm (free), AVG (free) both fully updated. Scans using AdAware, Spybot, SpywareDoctor etc show no sign of malware.  Intel mobo, P.4 1.6, 256mb ram, lots of hdd space, GForce MX 400 video card.  Intel active monitor running.  No overclocking.  Four-year-old pc.

Am trying to install a new Logitech QuickCam.  No other cam has ever been installed. The software appears to install correctly but after I plug in the camera (usb), after being prompted to do so, the system freezes or goes into bsod.  Have un-installed/re-installed the camera software many times.

So far have tried:
    (a) without ZA
    (b) without AVG
    (c) without ZA or AVG or Intel Active monitor
    (d) uninstall printer which works on any of four usb ports
    (e) ensuring no other app running
    (f) safe mode
    (g) borrowing an identical webcam and using the software which came with that - crashed
    (h) plugging into difference usb port
    (i) installing my webcam on another pc running identical OS - NO problems

Apart from the problem with the webcam install the pc gives no problems and no hardware/software changes have been made for many months.  

Have come to the conclusion that the problem lies within my hardware setup which is standard.  Is it possible that the usb ports are somehow corrupted and if so how do I go about fixing them :-?

Thanks

pcdoc4christ

Re: Baffled by webcam install
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 08:49:35 PM »
    Bulwark:

Try disabling the ZoneAlarm firewall, and the Windows firewall in the Control Panel.

If you get the BSOD again, write down the error code (the one that starts with 0X) and let us know what it is.

Doc
    « Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 08:51:52 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Bulwark

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      Eureka Re: Baffled by webcam install
      « Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 04:50:07 PM »
      Thanks pcdoc.  Tried what you suggest and got a total lockup, no bsod just everything rock solid including mouse and keyboard, no entry in the event log.

However I had a quick look at System Restore files and found one for just about every occasion I installed the cam software.  So, disabled System Restore, re-installed the cam software without any problems, could then view my countenance on-screen.  One by one I have re-installed or re-enabled drivers and programs and finally re-enabled System Restore and now all seems to be running as it should.

Explanation :-?  I don't have one and have been unable to find anyone who has also had this problem with this particular webcam.  I can only put it down to a conflict with the OS.

Thanks again

pcdoc4christ

Re: Baffled by webcam install
      « Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 12:14:32 PM »
      I would not jump to the conclusion that disabling System Restore solved the problem, however, reinstalling the software could very well have been the solution.  

Good thinking!

8-)