Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Logging In as an Administrator  (Read 2105 times)

don01

Logging In as an Administrator
« on: July 16, 2006, 06:56:17 AM »
Can someone help me. i tried adding another user as an administrator on my pc, but somehow messed up the whole system. I usually had all the rights to the system for example system restore, add new users e.tc.  But now denied access and says i must log in as an administrator requiring password before i can effect any changes.

I use a Dell Pc with a Microsoft XP operating system. Please Help as even i cant be logged in as an administrator. What do i do.

GX1_Man

Re: Logging In as an Administrator
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 07:05:32 AM »
What happens when you try to log in? What happens if you boot in Safe Mode? What do you have in terms of XP CD's - a real one or a system restore?

If you can't log in as admin you may be looking at a reinstall. Do you have data that needs to be backed up? What hardware is on the machine? A CDRW?

Details are needed.

don01

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 05:13:27 PM »
Thanks man for your interest in helping out.
When I log in with my user account, my access rights as an administrator is restricted. I can’t install, do a system restore e.t.c. when I boot in safe mode, but can’t log in as my normal user, just as a guest. The alternative user is the administrator option. I tried it logging in with my normal password, but gives an error. Invalid password.
I got the PC about 1 year ago with windows XP professional already installed. So it came without any XP CD's.
I have backed up all necessary data on the System.
Hardware on the system Cd/DVD writer drive. Unfortunately the system does not have and floppy disk drive, so am not able to use the reset disk procedure.

Please kindly assist me

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 07:18:23 PM »
Due to multiple posts all respondents should keep it to one thread. This one:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1153091737/0