Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Second Hand Computer  (Read 2902 times)

bkwrm

Second Hand Computer
« on: September 09, 2004, 08:10:22 AM »
First time posting a question here.  

I just got a second hand computer from a company that was upgrading.  I'm running into several problems and have no idea what to do.  The only thing I can really tell you is that it operates Windows 98.

First, occasionally when I start the computer it says that the CPU cycle hung for the wrong time.  It takes me to a screen to adjust, but I have no idea what to adjust.

Second, tried to install AOL, but it says that I need to change to 256 colors.  When I go to display it's only showing 8 or 16 colors as options.

Third, they gave me two speakers for the computer.  The cord is color coded, but when I plug it in all I get is a persistent annoying beep.

Fourth, it's got a place to plug in a phone cord, but it keeps saying that it can't detact a modem when I try to use AOL.  Also, my wife says that when the computer is plugged into the phone jack none of the phones in the house will work.

I'm sorry for posting so many questions at once.

Raptor

Re: Second Hand Compute
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 10:30:10 AM »
econd, tried to install AOL, but it says that I need to change to 256 colors.  When I go to display it's only showing 8 or 16 colors as options.

Donot bother to install AOL, I hear nothing but bad about it.

Installing videocard drivers will most likely solve your problem.

Third, they gave me two speakers for the computer.  The cord is color coded, but when I plug it in all I get is a persistent annoying beep.

Are soundcard drivers correctly installed? Perhaps the cord/soundcard ports are damaged?

I cannot quite help you with your other questions, I never used a modem and as for question number one;

First, occasionally when I start the computer it says that the CPU cycle hung for the wrong time.  It takes me to a screen to adjust, but I have no idea what to adjust.

I would try to reset the BIOS either by shortcircuiting the jumper or by taking out the CMOS battery for 10 seconds or longer.

[ur=http://www.computerhope.com/help/cmos.html]Computer CMOS information[/url]

Computer BIOS information and help

merlin_2

Re: Second Hand Computer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 02:24:09 PM »
type msinfo32 in the run box ....this will list all your pc components....make a list of the graphic/sound/ modem makes....do you have the win98 install disk?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 02:35:47 PM by merlin_2 »