Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft's antivirus package  (Read 3903 times)

infoseeker

Microsoft's antivirus package
« on: August 12, 2006, 05:01:16 AM »
Helped by low pricing, Microsoft's Windows Live OneCare landed the No. 2 spot in sales at American stores in its debut month, according to The NPD Group.

[highlight]The antivirus and PC care package nabbed 15.4 percent of security suite sales at retailers such as Best Buy and Amazon.com, according to NPD's data. The average price was $29.67, well below Microsoft's list price of $49.95. Online at Amazon.com, OneCare is available for only $19.99.

"Microsoft's penetration pricing strategy is clearly working and they are capturing significant unit share," NPD analyst Chris Swenson told CNET News.com. "I think many in the industry were surprised with how well Windows Live OneCare did in its first month on the market."

OneCare hit U.S. store shelves in late May, three years after Microsoft announced its intent to move into the antivirus realm. The product combines antivirus, anti-spyware and firewall software with backup features and several tune-up tools for Windows PCs. Symantec and McAfee have both announced new products to rival OneCare.[/highlight]

http://news.com.com/Microsofts+antivirus+package+makes+a+splash/2100-7355_3-6104926.html?tag=nefd.top

::) infoseeker ::)

GX1_Man

Re: Microsoft's antivirus package
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 06:06:55 AM »
It's all about marketing and name recognition. I guess free doesn't show up in the sales rankings anyway though, so AVG wouldn't place.

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 05:18:55 PM »
    However, when the constitution of the French Second Republic was finally promulgated and direct elections for the presidency were held on December 10, 1848, Louis-Napoléon won in a landslide, with 5,454,000 votes (around 75% of votes) against his closest rival Louis-Eugene Cavaignac's 1,448,000 votes. His overwhelming victory was above all due to the support of the non-politicized rural masses, to whom the name of Bonaparte meant something, contrary to the names of the other contenders for the presidency which were unknown to the masses. Louis-Napoléon's platform was the restoration of order after months of political turmoil, strong government, social consolidation, and national greatness, to which he appealed with all the credit of his name, that of France's national hero Napoléon I who in popular memory was credited with bringing the nation to its pinnacle of military greatness and establishing social stability after the turmoil of the French Revolution.

Name recognition. Works everytime.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 06:09:09 PM »
    Very nice, Neil.  ;)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 12:41:57 AM »
    I'm gonna change my name to "Karl Marx" and run for Prime Minister.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos