Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help me pleeeease hard drive down!!!  (Read 2271 times)

phil2584

help me pleeeease hard drive down!!!
« on: August 10, 2006, 02:31:07 PM »
Hi guys first time here and it looks cool, anyway to the point, i was playing battlefield 2 (original) and some of the servers kept frezzing on my when i tried to get into them so this happened about 3 times and each time i reset my pc, in the end i tried to get back on and had an error msg. i look in my computer and find that my second hard drive (Z://) has gone and where it WAS theres a blank space, o i check device manager and windows says its still there and working fine, so i try battlefield again but it still wont work as it was installed to my Z:// drive.  so i go and right click on my computer and then go to disk management is it? anyway it says there that its unallocated! so i try and initialize it but it nothing happens, i reset my computer and check setup (F2) it says its there. so my point is...... AAAAAAAARGH WHERE IS IT HOW DO I GET IT BACK AND HELP ME PLEASE CUZ IM ABOUT TO CRY I HAD LIKE 30 GAMES ON THAT BABY AND IM LOST WITHOUT IT HELP ME PLEASE GUYS!

phil

GX1_Man

Re: help me pleeeease hard drive down!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 04:45:16 PM »
What preceeded this?

What version of Windows? What Service Pack? Are all MS updates applied?

What spyware/virus protection is being used?

Other known problems with system?

Any recent playing about inside the case or BIOS, etc.?

What is the system? Computer or motherboard make/mode?

What about drives in the system? Are they seen correctly in the system? Right click on them and choose Properties and report back on file system shown.

More information needed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 04:45:54 PM by GX1_Man »

phil2584

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 04:53:13 PM »
dont know my motherboard, but i have 2 hard drives, my c:// and z:// i named the second one z:// myself, there has been no tampering and no messing of anything, all updates are done, i have all upto date drivers i have windows xp service pack 2 i think, and b4 this all happened i was at work, then i came home put battlefield 2 on then it starts frezzing on some servers so i reset it about 3 times, then BANG the hard drive has disappeard. windows knows its there and says its working properly and so does the bios, but under disk managemt it says it un allocated, my other hard drive is in blue and this one is in black and says unallocated. thats all i can really find out

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 04:58:56 PM »
No, you can find out much more, and much more is needed to proceed.

Run Everest Home and run the report and post it here.

http://www.comcen.com.au/~fed/everest.zip

Please address the other issues:

[highlight]What preceeded this? [/highlight]

[highlight]What version of Windows? What Service Pack? Are all MS updates applied?  
  [/highlight][highlight]What spyware/virus protection is being used? [/highlight]

[highlight]Other known problems with system?  [/highlight]

What is the system? Computer or motherboard make/mode?  

What about drives in the system? Are they seen correctly in the system? [highlight]Right click on them and choose Properties and report back on file system shown[/highlight].  

We can only guess if no information is given. And frankly I am not willing to just guess.

phil2584

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 05:19:35 PM »
OS Name      Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version      5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer      Microsoft Corporation
System Name      HOME-3AD011B55D
System Manufacturer      VIA
System Model      K7VT4A+
System Type      X86-based PC
Processor      x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~999 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date      American Megatrends Inc. P1.20, 25/06/2004
SMBIOS Version      2.3
Windows Directory      C:\WINDOWS
System Directory      C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device      \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale      United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer      Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name      HOME-3AD011B55D\Phil
Time Zone      GMT Standard Time
Total Physical Memory      512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory      239.39 MB
Total Virtual Memory      2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory      1.96 GB
Page File Space      1.22 GB
Page File      C:\pagefile.sys

this is what ive found out so far but ill run that everest thing gimme 2 mins

phil2584

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 05:25:54 PM »
not sure what im supposed to do with everest, im sure i gave u all the info in the last reply, with the os and stuff?

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 05:41:46 PM »
I only ask three times, so let's review:

No, you can find out much more, and much more is needed to proceed.

Run Everest Home and [highlight]run the report and post it here[/highlight].

http://www.comcen.com.au/~fed/everest.zip

Please address the other issues:

What preceeded this?    
[highlight]What version of Windows? What Service Pack? [highlight]Are all MS updates applied?  [/highlight]  [/highlight][highlight]What spyware/virus protection is being used? [/highlight]

Other known problems with system?

What is the system? Computer or motherboard make/model?  

[highlight]What about drives in the system? Are they seen correctly in the system?[/highlight] [highlight]Right click on them and choose Properties and report back on file system shown[/highlight].  

We can only guess if no information is given. And frankly I am not willing to just guess.

You did not post the full Everest report as requested. How many physical hard drives are in there? Just one that you have partitioned into a primary and a logical? It seems so. [highlight]What file systems are shown in the Properties tabs for each drive?[/highlight]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 05:45:56 PM by GX1_Man »

phil2584

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 05:46:15 PM »
im sorry but i really dont know, im not very good when it comes to techy talk, one last question, how do i format it if i find it without loosing everything that was on there?

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 05:51:44 PM »
If you format a drive you WILL lose all of the data on there. I am trying to see if the data can be salvaged before you take that step. That is why the information is required. I'm sure a good format will help the situation, but that is for later.

Go to My Computer and right click on each of the hard drives - C and Z. Choose Properties and then type in everything you see for each drive. File System is what we're looking for. Does it say RAW?

(Well, that's 4 times!)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 05:53:30 PM by GX1_Man »