Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard failed. Replacement fails too.  (Read 2209 times)

Snerdguy

Keyboard failed. Replacement fails too.
« on: August 23, 2006, 09:01:38 PM »
I have an eMachines model W2040 desktop computer with Windows XP. When the failure started a couple days ago, I was getting double keystrokes. Then I got floppy drive failure 40 on bootup. But, it finishes booting normally when I continue. The mouse works normally. The keyboard no longer works at all.

The LEDs on the keyboard flash even after the computer is shut down. A replacement keyboard does the same thing.

I can use the mouse to open files and log on to the Internet. I have tried running the eMachines trouble shooting program. But, it doesn't seem to be much help.

AMMENDMENT: Well, it's the next day and the computer is now stone dead. I think I'll try replacing the power supply.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 10:11:27 AM by Snerdguy »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Keyboard failed. Replacement fails too.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 02:56:45 PM »
A good place to start...don't waste time buying a cheap one.

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Snerdguy

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 06:50:46 PM »
You are now reading a message from my eMachines W2040 which is sort of fixed. The power supply had fried. The blown capacitor fell out when I removed the power supply from the computer.

When I replaced the power supply, the computer fired up. But, the keyboard still would not work. There is no specific board to replace for the serial keyboard. So, I tried a USB keyboard instead and it works.

I believe that the original failure was the filter capacitor in the power supply which damaged the serial port electronics for the keyboard. It would be too expensive to fix it.

My computer is still broken. But, it's fixed well enough. (At least for now.) Thanks.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 04:43:06 PM »
No Problem ! And congrats on getting up and running...i would try a few more keyboards to determine if that PS2 port got fried. If in fact it did a computer repair shop can replace the PS2 connectors on most MBoards but don't let them charge you more than 20 bucks or so...

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "