Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 0x00000073  (Read 15562 times)

tal

0x00000073
« on: September 10, 2006, 08:38:17 AM »
My computer has come up with this message and is also telling me to check to see if new hardware or software has been properly installed. This is the first time I have ever seen this message and don't know what it means or what to do. Help please!!!! :-?

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: 0x00000073
    « Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 08:51:32 AM »
    Hello, tal,

I cannot determine the problem or the solution with the given information. Please, kindly provide:

1. The system specs of your computer

2. In what program, if any, you receive this message.

3. The exact text of the message (a screenshot would be handy -- see this guide for instructions on doing that).

If you need to, duplicate the error to perform steps 2 and 3.

(Aside: If you can't duplicate the error, and nothing appears to be majorly wrong, then let ignorance be bliss and ignore it.)

--Dilbert
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

tal

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 11:22:36 AM »
    The computer is p1, running windows xp professional. If I have to reformat the comouter oh boy.

the message comes up when i reboot so i can't ingnore the error message. the whole message reads

a problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

CONFIG_LIST_FAILED   If this is the first time you have seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.  If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software.  Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.  If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced start-up options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

Stop: 0x00000073 (0x00000001, 0xC000017D, 0x00000001, 0xF9F14CC0)

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

Thanks for your help.

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
      « Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 10:30:43 PM »
      OK. Did you recently install anything? Hardware or programs?
      "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 01:09:58 AM »
        Bug Check 0x73: CONFIG_LIST_FAILED
        The CONFIG_LIST_FAILED bug check has a value of 0x00000073. This indicates that one of the core system hives cannot be linked in the registry tree.

Parameters
        The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen.

Parameter Description
        1 1  
        2 The NT status code that led Windows to assume that it had failed to load the hive
        3 The index of the hive in the hive list  
        4 A pointer to a UNICODE_STRING containing the filename of the hive  

Cause
        The registry hive in question can be either SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE or DEFAULT. The hive is certainly valid, since it was loaded successfully.

[highlight]Examine Parameter 2[/highlight] to see why the hive could not be linked in the registry tree. One [highlight]common cause of this error[/highlight] is that Windows is [highlight]out of disk space[/highlight] on the system drive (in which case this parameter is [highlight]0xC000017D[/highlight], STATUS_NO_LOG_SPACE). Another common problem is that an attempt to allocate pool has failed (in which case this parameter is 0xC000009A, STATUS_INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES). Other status codes must be individually investigated.

I'm sure only Eggheads fully understand this stuff. No offence Rob  :D