Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lost my Sound  (Read 2103 times)

kirin80

Lost my Sound
« on: September 11, 2006, 11:08:36 AM »
the other day, i bought a used pc at a yard sale ( $15 , runs windows 98)... the first day, it played a cd, but the sound was weak.. the next day, and all days after that, all sound stopped.. when i tried to play an mp3, windows media player gives me this message

0xC00D11BA: Cannot play the file

it goes on to say there is a problem with my sound card.. well, after checking my device manager, i found my sound card ( at least, i think it is) as a "ES1869 Plug and Play Audio Drive", and there are no conflicts... when i try to play an mp3 in winamp, its silent, but it looks like it plays.. the meters on my volume control go up and down, like the sound should be on..

i know it's antiquated, but is ther any help?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Lost my Sound
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 11:42:32 AM »
    Go to Safe Mode and check DM to see how many 'sound cards' show up.  Then  try removing the sound card in DM & rebooting.  Windoze should see the card and reinstall the drivers.

Can you try another set of speakers?

Do you have a spare sound card laying around you could install and try?...doesn't everyone :-)

Alan <><
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

kirin80

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 12:28:09 PM »
    ok, i feel like an idiot..  all i had to do was update my drivers... sorry to trouble you guys, thanks

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 05:27:57 PM »
      No trouble at all  ;D

Glad we're able to help.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!