Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD-Rom Not Working  (Read 6597 times)

JCHPNC

CD-Rom Not Working
« on: September 13, 2004, 04:54:11 PM »
A PC locked up last week while scanning incoming e-mail - I think Norton Anti-Virus 2004 was messed up - so I have finally manually removed this via Symantec's directions.

The CD-Rom drive is recognized upon boot up and the device manager says it is working ok - but when I put a CD in it will not auto run and I cannot browse that drive using Windows Explorer.

Do you have any suggestions?  I also went into the bios and updated it to the default settings and exited.

Thanks.

black_watch

Re: CD-Rom Not Working
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 05:32:28 PM »
Hello
I have the same problem. My computer say that CD-rom is ok but when I put a CD inside nothing it just start to reed the CD the lamp blinking and after 1 minute stop and nothing. It`s happend from time to time... and I can`t  understand what`s wrong.
I have Windows XP Pro. Do you think if I update CD-rom drives it will help?
Please help us
???

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 06:54:38 PM »
    JCHPNC.....What operating system are you using......When did all this start ?
    Are you able to go into My Computer ...select the cd drive and explore its contents?

let us know
    dl65  ???
    « Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 06:56:08 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 06:58:45 PM »
      black_watch.....If you go into your ....My computer and look at you cd drive(s) shown there ...does it show a disk in the drive ? Are you having this problem all the time or just with certain disks ?

let us know

dl65  ???
      « Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 06:59:28 PM by dl65 »

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 10:40:33 PM »
      Hello
      I have the same problem. My computer say that CD-rom is ok but when I put a CD inside nothing it just start to reed the CD the lamp blinking and after 1 minute stop and nothing. It`s happend from time to time... and I can`t  understand what`s wrong.
      I have Windows XP Pro. Do you think if I update CD-rom drives it will help?
      Please help us
       ???

Are the CD's dirty that you are using? Or perhaps of bad quality? Copied CD's?

JCHPNC

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 08:36:21 AM »
      I am using Windows 98.  Last Friday the girl who uses this computer was at lunch.  I noticed that she had one of the infamous blue screens that said there was insufficient memory for NAV to scan incoming e-mails.  The computer locked up and when the system came back up we had the following problems:

1.  No programs listed under Start -  All Programs
      2.  NAV Auto Protect was not working - tried to uninstall using Add/Remove Programs - that didn't work - so I followed Symantec's instructions for manually removing the program and all associated programs, folders, etc. (including registry entries)
      3.  I though since I couldn't browse the D: drive that perhaps it was a virus, so I went to housecall.trendmicro.com and ran the online virus scan, but  everything was OK - no viruses or trojans.  I have gone into Device Manager and removed the CD Rom and restarted, but that didn't fix anything.
      4.  When the PC was going through the Scan Disk after I had to restart it when it locked up there was a message that a file with a long file extension was found and it contained an error - I did a thorough Scan Disk yesterday and all errors that were detected were fixed.
      5.  I downloaded a program called Registry Mechanic and it found over 400 problems and "fixed" them, but I still can't  use the CD player, so I can't reinstall NAV and there are still no programs under All Programs.

NOW - whenever the PC boots up it does not detect the mouse - I even tried a new mouse and restarted the computer - it doesn't feel like the keyboard is working either because you can press Esc to skip the memory test on boot up and I can't even do that now.

Any suggestions?

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 09:41:45 AM »

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 01:03:47 PM »
      load a win98 boot floppy and at the a:\>scanreg/restore and chose the last good cab file...or to access cdrom drive in dos/safemode have a look here>http://www.newlogic.co.uk/tips.htm#cdromdos
      « Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 01:06:34 PM by merlin_2 »

black_watch

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 04:33:10 PM »
      dl65

When I do all this my computer tell me that there is CD and everything is ok I check CD-rom properties and it said "This device working properly"
      But it can`t read the CD I put inside brand new CDs with very good quality. I don`t think that my CD - rom is dirty and it need to be clean.
      I have this problem from time to time dosn`t matter what kind of CD I will put inside. It`s happend some times when I install a new program and when I uninstal the program evrything is ok.

Raptor

Like a said I don`t put dirty CDs in PC, I`m not some stuped user who is ready to put evrey kind of trash in his computer.
      I don`t think that quality of my CDs is bad or copied CDs
      Is it possible to have some conflict between Windows XP and Nero 6.03 which I use to burn my CDs.

PEace.....

black_watch

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 04:43:03 PM »
      Another thing which I forget is my CD is CD-RW...I don`t know if that have any difference but my be computer gods will want to know about this.....

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 10:59:04 PM »
        black_watch......ok here's what I would try......get a music cd to use as a test.......now if you have cd-rom in your pc ......put the music cd in it and confirm that it plays ok.....then take it out of the cd-r and put it in the cd-rw (burner)......go to my computer and see if that drive shows as having a disk in it .....then click explore and pick a track to play and see if it plays. If it doesnt...then shut down your pc .....open the case and unplug the ide cable ...from the cd-rw now reboot the pc and see if that cd drive is gone ......then shut down again ....plug the ide cable back in and reboot....watch the tool tray for the message windows has detected new hardware.......let it run and you will either be prompted to install the cd drivers or it will load drivers from the XP files.......when it says installation complete.
        go back to my computer and check to see it shows up there and assuming it does right click on it and select explore ....pick a track from your music vid and see if it plays .
        Have you ever blown out the cd drives because they do pick up dust from the air and sometimes this can create a problem similar to what you describe.
        let us know
        dl65  ???

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2004, 12:04:18 AM »
        Like a said I don`t put dirty CDs in PC, I`m not some stuped user who is ready to put evrey kind of trash in his computer.

You must rub your CD's with alcahol each night. That message you quoted wasn't meant for you, by the way.