Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD drive broke a disc  (Read 2433 times)

Kip

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
CD drive broke a disc
« on: October 13, 2006, 07:15:23 PM »
   I have a computer with a CD drive that broke a CD in half. I was installing a game when there was a loud snap from the CD drive followed by a grinding noise like a CD getting scratched. I then canceled the installation and ejected the CD. The CD was snapped in half and the shinny side had scratches in it.

I am wondering what could have caused this to happen and whether it will happen with other disks. The CD drive was bought about two years ago.
Happiness is not getting what you want, it is wanting what you get.

Fed

• Sage
    Re: CD drive broke a disc
    « Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 07:36:45 PM »
    Faulty CD, I hope it hasn't damaged your cdrom too.
    BTW, in all the time I've been here I have only seen this problem once before.

Kip

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 08:19:23 AM »
    Thank you for the information, Fed.
    I tried another CD in the drive and it is working fine.  :)

I am surprised it took so long for the CD to break since I have had it longer than the CD drive. :-?
    Happiness is not getting what you want, it is wanting what you get.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 09:35:43 AM »
      I have a computer with a CD drive that broke a CD in half. I was installing a game when there was a loud snap from the CD drive followed by a grinding noise like a CD getting scratched. I then canceled the installation and ejected the CD. The CD was snapped in half and the shinny side had scratches in it.

I am wondering what could have caused this to happen and whether it will happen with other disks. The CD drive was bought about two years ago.

Replace the CD-ROM drive to be on the safe side and no longer use CD-ROMS with cracks in them, they'll release all kinds of splinters inside the casing.