Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP PLEASE!!!  (Read 3917 times)

Jiffener

HELP PLEASE!!!
« on: November 21, 2004, 04:33:25 PM »
Seriously. I really need some help. Okay, I got a laptop from a pawnshop. It was in perfect condition. It's a Compaq Presario 1640. Well, of course it has windows 98 on it because it's an older model. Well I wanted to put XP on it. SO my mom says she can put XP on it. She gets my grandmas quick restore disks and puts it in. Well I realize what she's about to do so I cancel the restore before it even starts. Well now.... when I turn it on it comes up on this blue screen and says "The quick restore has been canceled. Please remove disk and shut off your computer." It wont do anything else. Someone please please help me. I mean, I'll go out and flippin buy XP (yes I know it's $200) or I'll go find 98! But I need to know if there's anything I can do to get it into DOS mode or get that screen to go away. If anyone has any ideas. I would appreciate it SOOOOO much! Thanks!
-Jenn

Raptor

Re: HELP PLEASE!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 05:35:01 AM »
And what if you can stop the screen from displaying? The install files are still there.

What is it exactly you are trying to do? When you install a new operating system you will have to format your drive first. Unless you upgrade from the currently installed OS.

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 04:39:25 PM »
restart pc with the install disk in...it may ask you to format the drive....and winxp like to run on a least 128mb of ram...you may or may not come across hardware compatabilty...then again you maybe lucky..
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 04:41:33 PM by merlin_2 »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 06:59:03 PM »
How old is the computer? Can Compaq help you? If all fails, just go buy a NEW hard disk. They aren't that expensive...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

verls22_22

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 04:55:12 AM »
What are the Causes when this message appear "Insert Boot Diskette"? :)

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 04:07:02 PM »
    What are the Causes when this message appear "Insert Boot Diskette"? :)

Your computer needs the boot diskette.