Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I become Administrator?  (Read 3121 times)

songbird72

How do I become Administrator?
« on: November 02, 2006, 03:27:51 PM »
I have Windows 2000 Professional, IE6, Hewlett Packard Intel PII.  I bought this pc in 4/2003 from a friend who built it.  He had himself as Admin. in case I needed things fixed and I was User1.  

I tried going into Start-Control Panel-Password to change it.  Now, I have to click on box comes up that states "not able to log you on" and then click on ok and type in User1 every time to boot up.  The friend gave me his password, but then I get his browser and desktop!

He no longer does fixing of pc's anymore so can I delete his information?  How do I do this and make myself Administrator?  Cannot get my Maestro Keyboard to work either and cannot do alt codes since I first must uninstall previous keyboards and drivers and there is a long list when I search from Start in Files.  How do I do this also?  Delete everything in the list?  Thanks.

GX1_Man

Re: How do I become Administrator?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 04:57:33 PM »
If you have the Administrator login capability, you can change the permissions for the user account to administrator privileges.

Do NOT delete the Administrator account or you will be FUBAR. You can change this to meet your needs or, better yet, just leave it alone.  ;)

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 06:40:44 PM »
    Make it easy on yourself.  If you have the Windows 2000 cd, reinstall after saving the stuff you want.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 06:54:40 PM »
    Format and reinstall? A man after my own heart!  ;D