Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Missing D: Drive  (Read 3154 times)

jillmillie

Missing D: Drive
« on: November 06, 2006, 08:04:48 PM »
I am currently having problems locating my D: Drive.  It is missing from My Computer as well as Windows Explorer.  It seems to be working mechanically but cannot be located by any program or the computer itself.  I attempted doing the following:

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class

Key Name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Value Data: [Delete All Value Data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters]

Exit Registry and Reboot

Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem.  Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you very much!

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Missing D: Drive
    « Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 08:12:55 PM »
    Need...more...info...gasp  :P

Operating system / antivirus & antispyware protection / when it started happening / did it ever work right / why you went to the registry first?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

jillmillie

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 09:43:00 PM »
    This just recently began happening.  I think just after completing a Microsoft Update.  The drive has worked properly for the past 2 years.  I am using an IBM R40 Thinkpad and have Norton Anti-Virus and Ad-Aware SE Spyware protection.  I went to the registry because someone advised to look there first.

Thank you for your time!

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 04:00:26 AM »
    Playing in the registry should never be done first and you must take precautions, like backing it up first, in case you hose everything.

Is the drive seen in the BIOS?

What happened before the drive went missing? Does it show in My Computer and you can't access it, or it looks like it just is not there? I am assuming this is the CDROM, so can you remove the drive and reinsert? (My T20 has a dockable bat.)
    « Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 04:01:17 AM by GX1_Man »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 05:40:57 AM »
    Make sure it is properly seated.
    Then re-boot right clik My Computer and select Manage...see if it is showing up in Disk Management.

patio  8-)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jillmillie

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 08:43:07 AM »
    It is still not showing up in Disk Management.  The D: Drive does not show up at all in My Computer.  Yes, it is a CD-ROM.  How can I see if the drive is in BIOS?  Thank you again for trying to help me!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 08:51:50 AM »
    On a Thinkpad you need to hit F1 at re-boot to enter the BIOS.
    However if you are not familiar with this procedure it is best to have someone who is have a look at it...

jillmillie

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 08:54:17 AM »
    Unbelievable!  I removed the drive and re-inserted it... and it's appearing again!  I feel like an idiot!  Thank you for your help.  

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 11:07:52 AM »
    Good to hear...stop by anytime.

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 01:20:50 PM »
    Playing in the registry should never be done first and you must take precautions, like backing it up first, in case you hose everything.

Is the drive seen in the BIOS?

What happened before the drive went missing? Does it show in My Computer and you can't access it, or it looks like it just is not there? I am assuming this is the CDROM, [highlight]so can you remove the drive and reinsert[/highlight]? (My T20 has a dockable bay.)

;D ;D ;D ;D
    « Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 01:21:16 PM by GX1_Man »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 08:32:04 PM »
    [highlight]Make sure it is properly seated.[/highlight]
    Then re-boot right clik My Computer and select Manage...see if it is showing up in Disk Management.

patio  8-)

;D ;D ;D

nyteshyft

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 02:17:59 AM »
    I get this problem sometimes with my 40gb Seagate which used to be the Primary HDD when I first bought the computer, now I have a 120gb Western Digital as my Primary and I use the Seagate as a slave. Sometimes, usually when I am trying to extract an image over 3gig or copy something rather large to the Seagate I get the usual Cyclic Redundancy Check, I then restart the computer and on startup where it says 'Checking Hardware' or whatever it says, the Seagate isn't listed, so I have to turn the computer off, open it up and just pull out the IDE cable and stick it back in again and it works fine for a couple of months until I have to do it again.

Maybe I should just buy a new computer, but then again, need a car, job, money, etc. bah, stuff it.