Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: xp protected files and folders  (Read 2329 times)

aron45

xp protected files and folders
« on: November 08, 2006, 08:41:20 PM »
hello,
      i am fairly knowledgeable in computers, i upgraded my computer and installed a new hard drive and xp on it and decided to add my old hard drive to the new system hoping to retrieve my stuff off it.  At present it still has the old OS system on it. The problem is that i protected my documents from other users viewing and now can not get into it. i have tried sharing but it didn't work. i can view all the old windows files, but this one, even the other uses documents. however the old OS install is screwed therefore i cant even unplug the new hard drive and boot from the old hard drives. is there any way i can retrieve the information or is it lost forever. when trying to open my documents in the old OS system i get my documents is not accessible.  

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: xp protected files and folders
    « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 08:52:32 PM »
    Open Explorer / right-click the folder you want / choose Properties / Security / Owner.  It's here you can take ownership.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

aron45

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 09:06:31 PM »
    i cant seem to find security and owner all i get is when i right click on folder is general, sharing and customize. now i cant share this folder or even move it. i am running xp pro. i think it mybe just me not understanding could you try and explain it a bit more.  
    « Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 09:15:35 PM by aron45 »

aron45

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 11:03:42 PM »
    thank you i got it i had to disable simple file sharing in tools before i got security up, when i left click on it. i do have a couple of other questions if you have time to answer them.

1. i found my favorites folder i am just unsure how to add them to my new favorites.

2. i also so found my old contact list. the file type is windowslivecontact file and when i try to open it tells me windows cant open it so i seach the web looking for source to open it then it comes up with widows dose not recognize this file type and it says FILExt. is there anyway to open it to see what is on it.

sealbee

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 02:10:14 AM »
    Here is the Microsoft link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421 it tells how to take ownership of a file or folder. Hope this helps.