Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Very Noisy Alienware  (Read 2569 times)

thetimoth

Very Noisy Alienware
« on: November 17, 2006, 08:16:59 AM »
Hello,

I just inherited an Alienware Computer. I know you want to know more about it than that. All I know at this point is that it is very noisy. If someone would be so kind as to tell me how, in Windows XP Home Edition, SP2 to look up hardware details, I'll gladly supply more detail here.

My question is, am I stuck with a noisy gift horse (which is not altogether a bad thing) or do I have options to make it quieter?

And speak up when you answer, please! [smiley=huh.gif]

Thanks, Thetimoth

thetimoth

Re: Very Noisy Alienware
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 09:03:25 AM »
Thanks Proph:

Processor: x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 Authentic AMD ~2255Mhz
ASUS A7N8X ACPI BIOS Rev 1017 Beta 005 TO, 10/31/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Total Physical memor 512.00 MB
Available 329.43 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Drive C = Size: 55.89 GB [highlight](question ==> is this a 60 GB Hard Drive?)[/highlight]
Free Space  46.89 GB

The case requires a round key for access. I've yet to secure one.

Thetimoth

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 09:37:05 AM »
An "inherited" computer with no key to the case? I guess it can happen....

thetimoth

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 11:31:08 AM »
I just got those last to inferences.  :o  I feel ... misjudged.

It's the truth. Nephew upgraded. His grandmother (my mother-in-law) offered me choice of the Alienware or help purchasing/building new one. I chose to start with the former.  

Had never heard of Alienware, but when told about it, looked it up on the internet. Saw that they appear to be popular game machines, in some circles. I use for music composition and pretty tame office stuff, so it seemed plenty for my purposes.

The CD component doesn't work, though, so I can't install High Speed Internet drivers.

The CD unit lights up and spins a little during boot up, but once boot up is complete, it won't open, close or spin at all. What's up with that? (Should I move this question to a different/new topic?)

thetimoth

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 11:36:23 AM »
Insert a straight paper clip into the small hole on the front of the unit...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

thetimoth

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 12:29:29 PM »
Patio,

Thanks.  I guess I wasn't clear. I've done that. It's not that there's something stuck in it. The problem is it doesn't work, once the machine is booted. I've looked (though my experience is limited) at the hardware configuration, and I can't see any devices that look like they're supposed to be a CD/DVD component. For a brief second, near the end of the boot process, a logo flashes on the desktop InCd. Is that a brand of CD component? A software thing? Indication that there's more life than I think there is, I just need to know where to resuscitate it?

Thanks again

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 01:02:49 PM »
InCD is included with some CD burning software to make a CDRW disc act like a big floppy disk. It also cause problems frequently.

Without knowing any of the history of the machine I would make sure the CD is showing up in the BIOS/setup screen. If not yo will have to get the case open somehow (locksmith or computer shop?) to check the power/data cable. If that doesn't work, then replacing the drive is the next step. You could also clean the thing of dust at that time.

thetimoth

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 12:04:44 AM »
Many thanks,

All very, very helpful.

Thetimoth

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 01:12:58 PM »
And uninstall INCD...it's worthless and causes havoc as you have seen.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "