Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC freezes, clock stops - Solution  (Read 3057 times)

Gunther

PC freezes, clock stops - Solution
« on: October 06, 2004, 08:54:31 PM »
To pass on some problem solving: My Dell 4100 with Win ME, three years old, started  giving me endless Blue Screen Error codes, many the same, and freezing up. a few days ago, the Cursor and clock stopped in their tracks. (It was NOT the battery). The PC could be reset and used again for a while. Intervals to freeze were usually 50 to 80 minutes, plus an equivalent time after RESET.
     Dell support advice: useless as usual.

Having spent my professional life solving problems, I followed my intuition:
I finally decided to swap out the HDD, an original DELL Seagate 20 GB HDD. I first managed to copy the current C: to another HDD. (I have my backup in a Mobile Docking setup).
  After swapping the drives, the new WD-400 HDD worked fine, Feezes stopped, Blue Screen Errors stopped.
   The Seagate was nearing total failure and must have started stuttering.

NOTE: A month before, while starting to get many Blue Screen Errors, many recoverable, I bought Microsof PAID support (first time in 20 Years on PCs).
MS Support was unable to tell  me the meaning of the error codes or what they pointed to. Since that was my spec in posing the question, they refunded my $35 .
MS support said that they did not have the tools to tell me what I wanted. It required a Microsoft Development engineer to do that.
QUESTION: why does Microsft bother to put up those
error codes?
;D

Raptor

Re: PC freezes, clock stops - Solution
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 11:14:36 PM »
Because long numbers and words baffle people.  ;)