Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Kernal.32.DLL error on Internet Explorer  (Read 5995 times)

Burly

Kernal.32.DLL error on Internet Explorer
« on: October 03, 2004, 08:27:21 PM »
When I sign on the Internet and the Home Page comes up this error appears suddenly and ask you to either send or not send a report to Microsoft. No matter what you click it will not let you access the internet or remove this error message.

Any thoughts on how to fix or get rid of this error on IE. Thje computer is a Dell the operating system is Windows 98.

Thanks

Mac

Re: Kernal.32.DLL error on Internet Explorer
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 03:40:43 AM »
Open Internet Explorer Options in the control panel and delete your home page URL.

To open IE click on the Windows Update link on your Start Menu and see if it will connect with the Windows update site.

If your system needs updating then is the time to do it.

Burly

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 08:54:54 AM »
Mac this did not work. I got the same error message when I tried to connect to Windows update. This computer is being used by my daughter in College and only happens when trying to connect to her high speed service. When she brought it home our dial up service worked fine. Any other options?

2k dummy

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 10:05:25 AM »
Double check your connection settings. It will be different for dial up and lan. But your best option is to deep six IE and get another browser such Mozilla or Firefox. I'd bet this IE6. Though it sometimes works on W9x, it is problematic. IE6 doesn't like W9x.

Burly

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 10:28:31 AM »
Not sure if connection settings is a problem since i can get Home Page to come up. Error arrives shortly after. Will try this though. How do you deep six IE6 and add Firefox? What steps need to be taken? Thanks

Mac

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 10:29:36 AM »
Mac this did not work. I got the same error message when I tried to connect to Windows update. This computer is being used by my daughter in College and only happens when trying to connect to her high speed service. When she brought it home our dial up service worked fine. Any other options?

Hello Burly, Sounds like something is identifying your browser to me. A Trojan or Hijacker. But only on the LAN/DSL connection.

Try running SpyBot SD, AdAware SE, and SpywareBlaster. (I also use AVG Free edition anti-virus and the free Edition of Zone Alarm.)

All programs are freeware and I use them all even on XP Professional.

You may get a situation where one of the anti-trojan programs damages the winsock if there is a Trojan interfering with it. The cure is to uninstall and re-install the DUN (Dial-Up-Networking) in Windows Components under Add-Remove programs.

One of the main reasons why '98/98se "doesn't like" IE6 is that IE6 is a bigger program and most '98s need more RAM for todays internet use.

You can easily find it a struggle using 64Mb (way too low) 128Mb (barely sufficient) but when you go up to 192Mb or 256Mb things start to get better.

Another thing which can slow down '98 is cluster size. If the defrag is painfully slow (you should use the defrag.exe from ME, btw, or Raxco's PerfectDisk, or Diskeeper for 9x) then check to see the cluster size by running chkdsk in a DOS window.

The default cluster size for FAT32 on drives under 8·0Gb is 4096 bytes, but '98 can work much better on 8192 byte clusters.

You would have to re-install if that is the case and force the bigger cluster size by using:

A:\>format c: /Z:16

With XP using format /fs:ntfs gives you 4096 byte clusters anyway on all drive sizes, but you cannot use NTFS for '98. (BTW)

The real answer is to upgrade to XP Home if the computer is compatible as XP's architecture gives a LOT more in the way of system resources.

I see XP Home on offer at US$69.99

http://www.buysoftware.ws/pd_microsoft_windows.cfm.

But do the PC Pitstop compatibility test if you are thinking of going this route and beware the media descriptor problem which can make older floppies unreadable.

The cure is to format new floppies in an XP machine and copy the old floppies to them in a '98 or ME machine.

Also try adding Delindex.bat from www.burzurq.com to her bootdiskette and running it from the prompt in case there is something in the TEMP or Temporary Internet files folders affecting the connection, a bad .js script or somesuch.

A:\>delindex , and press Enter to read the screens and R to run delindex.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 10:30:52 AM by Mac »

Mac

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 10:53:48 AM »
Here is some more info on these errors: http://aumha.org/a/kernel32.htm

Another problem with IE6 is upgrading from IE 5·5.

It is better in my opinion to remove IE 5·5/IE6 completely and start over with a clean install of IE6.

The IE6 download is bigger than for other operating systems as it includes components need for '98, so installing from a CD is not always a good idea.

I use a special means of downloading IE for specific Operating Systems in particular languages:

(NOTE !!! Set up a DOWNLOAD Folder at C:\DOWNLOAD first of all !!!)

The file ie6setup.exe is specific to the operating system AND is ... ALSO ... language specific.

You have to START by downloading ie6setup.exe for YOUR operating system & LANGUAGE into the C:\Download folder.

(You can do this for other Operating Systems on other computers if you burn the entire program to a CD-R or CD-RW.)

The C:\DOWNLOAD folder HAS to be opened to FULL screen before typing the download command into the Run window.

1./ Download the IE6 SP1 Installer from the MAIN WINDOWS DOWNLOAD site:
   http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en IE6SPI DOWNLOAD

2./ Choose the language which you require at the right side of the page.

3./ Download the installer (Approx. 480+Kb) into the: C:\DOWNLOAD folder, and open the folder to  FULL window.

4./ Go to Start> Run>: cut & paste this line into the Run window, then press OK

C:\Download\ie6setup.exe /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E"""

5./ In the download window which appears, choose the operating system which you want to put IE6 SP1 onto and choose the:
    C:\DOWNLOAD path, in the top window, then press enter.

All of the IE6 SP1 cabinet files will now download into this folder and you can then either install, or burn to CD.

6./ Remove your old IE completely from your system, either by uninstalling in Add-Remove programs, or by using:
    http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html  IEradicator for a clean install of IE6 SP1

7./ Run scandisk & and defrag.

8./ Run ie6setup.exe to install IE6 SP1 to your system.

9./ Now fully update your system at the Windows Up-Date site for ALL system-critical and security up-dates:
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com Windows Update

10./ NOTE: Just copy and paste the above line. Otherwise you can get the syntax wrong.

11./ In IE, Tools, IE Options, Advanced, & under "Navigation" Uncheck:

"Activate install on demand" [Other] , and, "Activate install on demand" [Internet Explorer]

In IE6 Tools, Options, General, set the History to the number you require (I use zero) then open Settings
     and set the Temporary Internet Files cache to 20Mb or less.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 10:55:06 AM by Mac »

Burly

MacRe: Kernal.32.DLL error on Internet Explorer
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 11:42:08 AM »
Mac, thanks for help. I plan on going up Wednesday to look at the computer. I think I will get on dial up and install ad-aware and run it and then try to see if her lan connection will work without that error. I will also try the unistall/reinstall of DUN to see if that works. If not I may just reinstall W98 over top of existing. Is this a option?

Mac

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 12:05:19 PM »
A clean install is a better option as over-installing can mess up an updated system.

With a good clean install, especially on a partitioned drive, you can then image the OS drive (C: ) and in future you can just format c: and restore from the image CDRs.

It is what I do which means that I can format and restore drive C: in under 30 minutes.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 12:05:48 PM by Mac »