Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: .DLL's messed up  (Read 4442 times)

Mike Neimeyer

.DLL's messed up
« on: October 06, 2004, 10:59:25 AM »
Somehow all my .DLL's are set to open with NOTEPAD.  What can I do to get them to open with the correct program?  What is the correct program?

Raptor

Re: .DLL's messed up
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 11:02:47 AM »
You should not open .DLL files at all. Windows will warn you that is a system file if you try to do so.

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 11:15:15 AM »
use the restore function on your pc to rectify this problem..
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 11:15:43 AM by merlin_2 »

Mike Neimeyer

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 11:21:38 AM »
I didnt change them, someone else did.  I just need to know what is the correct program that is supposed to be associated with these files so that I can reset it.  

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 11:31:09 AM »
you could try this c:\drive.../tools /folder options/view....setup defaults..

Mike Neimeyer

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 11:53:49 AM »
Dont know what folder options would do to reset the programs that open other programs.  I did as you requested, no progress.  File still opens with NOTEPAD.

Mike Neimeyer

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 12:57:21 PM »
I read your reply, visited that link, but it is asking me to choose an option under the Properities of the file that I wish to change.  I dont have the option to use the web to find the correct program.  I have a list of programs, and I can browse programs on my computer.  I found RUNDLL32 which should be the correct program to run DLL's, but when I apply the changes to the file, it doesnt change from using NOTEPAD to open the .DLL's.

Mike Neimeyer

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 01:00:15 PM »
I think the error is that the link you provided is troubleshooting for Windows XP.  I am on NT.