Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Boot From Removable HDD  (Read 2736 times)

frankbud

Boot From Removable HDD
« on: January 31, 2007, 09:02:47 PM »
Windows XP SP2, Foxcomm C51GU01 motherboard, Phoenix Bios Version 611E3P04.

I can lead the Bios to the external USB2 drive, but there it hangs, showing me the specifics of the
drive but failing to boot.  My boot priority is:  1) CD  2)Removable  3)HDD

I know the drive will boot.  It looks to me that the Bios does not see the drive as a drive
when it is associated with removable.  If my system will not boot to Removable with a HDD inside
why is removable one of the three choices in setting priority?  Is the motherboard the issue?
Please tell me that I can make further choices in Bios settings to resolve this issue.

GX1_Man

Re: Boot From Removable HDD
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 03:28:13 AM »
Removable refers to a floppy. What you are apparently trying to do is boot from a USB drive. THis may or may not be an option with your computer.

Do you have Windows loaded on that USB drive? What are you trying to accomplish?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 10:14:07 AM »
The BIOS needs to support booting from USB...unfortunatelly Foxconn's site was not very much help in finding this info.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 12:21:46 PM »
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 12:22:12 PM by GX1_Man »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 06:09:24 PM »
Yep, that's the one...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

frankbud

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 05:29:23 PM »
Windows XP SP2, Foxcomm C51GU01 motherboard, Phoenix Bios Version 611E3P04.

I can lead the Bios to the external USB2 drive, but there it hangs, showing me the specifics of the
drive but failing to boot.  My boot priority is:  1) CD  2)Removable  3)HDD

I know the drive will boot.  It looks to me that the Bios does not see the drive as a drive
when it is associated with removable.  If my system will not boot to Removable with a HDD inside
why is removable one of the three choices in setting priority?  Is the motherboard the issue?
Please tell me that I can make further choices in Bios settings to resolve this issue.

I have decided to rethink what I am trying to get done.  Thank you for your attention.

P.S.  Is this the proper way to continue a thread or should I do something else.  Thanks. Frankbud