Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: just added new hard drive and having issues  (Read 3918 times)

Brandy Belenky

just added new hard drive and having issues
« on: October 11, 2004, 01:17:50 PM »
ok so my old harddrive was partitioned...with only 5 gigs on the first drive, and it has been out of space for a while and I couldnt install software even to the d drive.  

So my solution was to get a new harddrive and have it as the master and my old one as the slave drive.  I did that and the new harddrive works fine....

Basically...Im wondering if there's an easy way to transfer the software from my old harddrive to the new one...or create some kind of local network so the new harddrive can find all the programs from the old one so I dont have to reinstall them all....If you have any idea what I could do e-mail me at [email protected] send me an im

Raptor

Re: just added new hard drive and having issues
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 01:19:12 PM »
You could mount both Hard Disk Drives in the same case and them set as Slave and Master to quickly and easily transfer files.

FreakaBoo9

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 01:20:49 PM »
that's what I did...but the programs didnt transfer from one to the other

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 01:27:45 PM »
Does the BIOS properly detect the drives?

Does it show you an error when you attempt to transfer files?

FreakaBoo9

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 01:35:03 PM »
yea i get an error when I try to open the programs...some it will like automatically install them on the g drive once i click on them....

but a lot of others it tells me the program isnt installed...and then it just closes

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 02:36:16 PM »
Can you normally access the HDD from Windows?

FreakaBoo9

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 02:39:43 PM »
yea I can access it fine...its just htat the programs arent all liking me I guess...

but i can search through all the harddrives fine...its not a hardware issue i think its software...but i couldnt figure out where in xp professional i could go to fix it

Computer_Commando

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 05:16:53 PM »
You can use the software from the hard drive manufacturer to image the old drive to the new drive.