Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Fading CD drive?  (Read 1994 times)

wmh1108

Fading CD drive?
« on: March 03, 2007, 09:09:10 AM »
When I boot my computer, my CD/RW drive (LG brand) seems to work just fine.  My OS seems to recognize it because it is listed as a working drive in "My Computer."  Then, after a few minutes (it doesn't matter what I am currently doing on the machine), I look in "My Computer" and the drive is no longer listed.  In command prompt, I type "e:" (which is what the drive was listed as before) and it says "The system cannot find the drive specified."  The drive itself appears to still be working because I can still open and close it, but when I put a CD in, it doesn't fire up and turn it.

This problem has been present for a couple of months now and I still haven't found a solution.  Keep in mind that this change appears to be completely spontaneous.  It worked perfectly before and I haven't been playing around inside the computer nor have I dropped it or done anything to loosen a wire or physically cause it to malfunction.  I suppose it could have something to do with my OS, but I have tried system restore and that still doesn't help.

My machine:
     P4 2.4GHz
     Soyo P41 FireDragon motherboard
     768 MB RAM
     Windows XP Pro
     LG CD/RW 52X32X52X

pcdoc4christ

Re: Fading CD drive?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 10:08:03 AM »
Try to document how long it is until the CD drive does not appear in device manager (open it every five minutes or so and check).  If it is the same amount every time, the drive might be overheating and failing when it reaches a certain temperature.  You can use a can of compressed air to blow the dust out of the PC case and clear the cooling vents.  

Make sure you check device manager after you open each program.  It might be that a certain program is using some odd device driver that is incompatible with the drive.  If the drive disappears from Device Manager every time you open a certain program, it is likely the cause.  

Try updating the drivers for the CD writer (download and install the latest drivers for your operating system from the manufacturer's Web site).

If you have added a lot of hardware to the computer, the wattage requirements might be overtaxing its power supply.  Consider upgrading to one with a higher wattage output, such as 400.

Try replacing the CD writer with a new one.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Fading CD drive?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 08:23:39 AM »
I'd replace that IDE cable...
And check your operating temperatures.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 08:24:22 AM by patio »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "