Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard cutting out  (Read 2220 times)

Jenufa

Keyboard cutting out
« on: March 13, 2007, 03:27:02 PM »
I have tried to track this problem down on the net but without success, and should be very grateful for any advice please.
I have a Toshiba laptop and I use an external keyboard and mouse. My home office (and therefore the computer) is in the same room as the gas boiler, and every time the boiler fires up the keyboard stops working and if I am using the mouse unexpected things happen, eg all the captions in the folder of photographs I was working on were no longer displayed, or the email I was reading is deleted, etc
The computer is plugged into a surge protector and I have tried plugging it into a different electric circuit via an extension lead (still on the surge protector) but this makes no difference. The surge protector has been tested and is working.
A friend suggested that it may be radiated as an electromagnetic transmission, perhaps from an inductive source like the gas valve or igniter and that it might be solved by shielding the boiler in aluminium foil. I have tried this but no success.
At present I turn the boiler off if I want to use the computer but I wondered if anyone else had had this problem.
Any advice would be very gratefully received

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Keyboard cutting out
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 03:37:22 PM »
Is this a wireless keyboard ? ?
If so switch channels...the good ones have more than one.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jenufa

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 02:50:27 PM »
No, sorry, I should have mentioned it, the keyboard and mouse plug in to the back of the laptop

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 03:45:09 PM »
Well the keyboard would be the cheapest component to replace to see if it is the keyboard at fault.
Have you tried the laptop in a different room altogether to see if it still acts up when the boiler comes on ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "