Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Power Supply Problem...  (Read 2556 times)

Saikido

New Power Supply Problem...
« on: April 05, 2007, 05:34:02 PM »
I recently bought a new powersupply to upgrade my computer and run my new vid card. I made sure that i had the PSU installed correctly, only problem is, when i tried to hit the power on my PC, The supply comes on for a second, then automatically shuts off, and makes a strange noise... Would this be a motherboard compatibility issue, or is the PSU just not working right?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: New Power Supply Problem...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 05:40:59 PM »
To what extent did you attempt to determine compatibility before buying that PSU?  What make and model is it?  What is the power rating for it?  Tell us more about your system, i.e. what's in it.  Any problems with your computer before installing this new PSU?

Saikido

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 05:47:21 PM »
computer is an HP A810n, 150 gig hdd, 512 mb ram, i really havent had any trouble with it, just tryin to replace my old 250 watt with a 580, Vid card ATI Radeon X1650 512 mb, AMD 3300+ Processor, Im not too sure on the compatibility issue though, as i have yet to test the new supply out on another PC. Specs of the new Supply
+3.3V output, Min load 1A, max load 30.0A +-5% load reg +-1% line reg, 70mVP.P ripple.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 06:17:27 PM »
What make and model is it? 

Did you remember the 4 pin power connector to the MBoard ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 06:22:20 PM »
Actually, I was asking for the brand and model of the PSU.  What is it?

Have you checked all your power cord connections?  Does your motherboard have a 20 pin or 24 pin connector?  I presume your PSU is compatible is this respect. 

Could you pull the new video card and install the old one and see whether your computer runs with it?

Saikido

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 06:33:20 PM »
PSU = Raidmax Aurora. checked everything, 20 and a 4. Ive tried with both the old and the new card. Maybe im underloading it, going to try hooking everything i have in and attempting to run it

soybean

Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 06:58:43 PM »
I was thinking you should disconnect some devices (CD drives, floppy, etc.) to reduce power demand upon startup.  If you don't get it working, you might put your old video card and old power supply back in and verify your system still runs under the old configuration.  If it does, an RMA on the new PSU seems justified.  Or, go ahead with the RMA without reinstalling the old PSU.

Some of the big-brand computers use proprietary components.  Did you have any problems fitting the new PSU in your computer?

Saikido

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 07:43:05 PM »
nope, it fits it like a glove, im gonna go ahead and RMA, switch out for a different one, in case it isnt compatable.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 07:54:28 PM »
You might take a look at FSG: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104954

I'm using a similar model, but mine is 400 Watts.

Saikido

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
Not bad, i might look into that, though im nto sure, im thinking about switchin out my motherboard so i can run a crossfire x1950's. hopefully i can figure if it really is the PSU or compatibility issue though.