Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: fans fluctuating speeds?  (Read 2272 times)

betar

fans fluctuating speeds?
« on: April 13, 2007, 09:21:50 PM »
Hello, I will first start off with my specs

Motherboard - Gigabye GA-8ITX3
Graphic Card - Nvidia geforce 8800 256mb
CPU - Intel Pentium 4 3.0 ghz
Hard Drive - 80gb
RAM - 1gb pc3200 ddr

I have been noticing that when I am sometimes either

1. Multitasking lots of programs or
2. Playing video games (such as WoW or Starwars)

it sounds like my fans in my computer are speeding up and slowing down every couple minutes.  The computer does not lock up or shut down (knock on wood) but it is just something that has caught my attention..

Is this something I should be worried about or can I just play on without having any type of computer troubles? Any information would be useful.

AIM - Beetaar
Email - Email Removed by Zylstra

thanks.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 12:38:20 PM by Zylstra »

GX1_Man

Re: fans fluctuating speeds?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 09:24:08 PM »
More activity causes more heat. More heat requires more fan power. How are your temps? You might google for speedfan to monitor with.  ;)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 09:46:23 PM »
Yeah, Speedfan is a great program. It tells you how fast your fan is spinning, what temperature your mother board is and what temperature your hard drive is.

Does anyone know what is the recommended temperature is ???

Liquidnitr0g3N

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 06:29:34 AM »
If you're using the Nvidia driver package with your Geforce 8800, you should have the Nvidia Control Panel in your taskbar on the right. Most of the time if you look through your options in there you'll find one that will enable you to set the GPU fan to run at maximum speed all the time if you so wish.

I'm using a GeForce 7950 and mine has a habit of doing the same thing yours does if I have that option disabled. I don't want to give mine a chance of overheating at all so I make it run max speed always. :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 08:55:18 AM »
Most newer MBoards have this feature built in...do you have the owner's manual for that board ? ?
If not you can probably DLoad it from the manuf. website.

p.s. It's probably not a good idea to post an e-mail address in a public forum unless you are short of *censored* and phony Rolex watches...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 08:57:26 AM »
Try adjusting whatever type of technology is at work (Smart-fan, Q-fan, etc) in the BIOS to suit your needs. Or have it always run at max speed.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 12:45:54 PM »
betar, the email address you posted has been removed to prevent you from receiving Spam. Don't worry, your not in any trouble.

Why remove the email?
Illegal search engines, such as the ones listen on the block list on http://www.computerhope.com/robots.txt , may try and attempt to index your email address. When your email address is indexed, it will cause you a lot of Spam.
Unfortunately, this is out of control of ComputerHope due to the nature of illegal indexing. (Most of this type of indexing takes place in foreign countries, where there are few or no laws about email based false spam advertising.

You can leave your email address as "Show to Public" in your ComputerHope Forum profile options, to allow users to see your email address, but not to Spam Indexers.

If you have any questions regarding Spam, and how to prevent it, feel free to ask.