Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help Please! Restart has 2 error msgs!  (Read 3336 times)

computer1000

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Need help Please! Restart has 2 error msgs!
    « on: April 23, 2007, 06:30:12 PM »
    I have two error messages that show up on my computer whenever I'm starting up or restarting it.  Its a recent thing too.  Let me first say I downloaded some software for ATI called ATI Catalyst Control for my graphics card and .NET Framework Version 3.0 to run the Catalyst Control program with.  I'm not sure if its related to these error messages but one of them showed up after I installed both I think.

The first error message I've been getting in the DOS part when you first startup or reboot the computer.  Its in the blank black screen right before you see the windows picture logo and the "Windows is Starting Up" message appear.  It says:

Invalid Boot.INI
    Loading C:\windows\

I have no idea what this invalid message means but can someone tell me how to fix it?

The second message appears when the windows screen finished loading up and I can see the desktop.  I saved the picture of the erro message below.

I think this could be related to that catalyst control stuff I installed or maybe some other ATI software I installed. (ATI is strange since the cd I bought the graphics card with was outdated and I had to goto their website and download and install the latest version driver and this extra features stuff called catalyst control).

But anyway how do you remove these error messages or prevent them from popping up?? Is my computer seriously damaged?  Should I be worried?  ???

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Need help Please! Restart has 2 error msgs!
    « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 07:09:13 PM »
    1st. Did you have .net #1 and #2 installed already before you put .net#3 on the machine ? ?

2nd. Copy and paste your boot .ini here and we'll have a looksee...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 11:41:56 PM »
    What version of Windows are you running?

computer1000

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 02:01:28 PM »
      Well I do not know for sure if my computer already had version 1.0 and 2.0 .NET Framework installed already.  All I did was download and install 3.0 version so maybe I did or didn't have the first 2 I don't know how to check for it.

I can't paste the boot.ini since the black screen with thoses words during restart only lasts for 1 second before the Windows loading screen shows up and I have no idea how to freeze the screen with the message and copy it.

I have Windows XP.  Oh and one final thing I just found out recently:  I got that same error message I pasted before whenever I try to open up ATI Catalyst control!  I cannot use the ATI Catalyst Control for some reason.  Please help how do I fix the ATI Catalyst Control program?  Why is it not working after I spent all that time downloading it and the 3.0 .NET framework for it??  Thanks

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 04:24:08 PM »
      It's possible the ATI program was not written for your card...i would un-install it and visit the site to make sure if your hardware is compatible.

Sometimes newer drivers/updates aren't always the best...

p.s. The boot.ini file will be found in the root directory of C:.....it can be opened with Notepad by right clicking and selecting Open With.
      Then you can copy and paste it...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

computer1000

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 04:41:38 PM »
        Uh oh I think my booti.ini file is either damaged or missing.  I get this error message when I tried to make a backup copy by clicking on the Settings Button under Startup and Recovery:

The C:\boot.ini file can not be opened.  Operating System and Timeout Settings cannot be changed.

I cannot find my Windows XP first aid cd anywhere (I think I lost it years ago) so are there any other solutions?

cedwa

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 05:02:57 PM »
        ok to get your boot.ini file try this:

1. go to start>Run and type msconfig
        2. look at the tabs at the top for BOOT.INI, click this tab

Only problem with this is that you can't copy and paste but at least you can see it.

Also in msconfig you can check many other setting of your computer you may find something unusual that is causing it.

alternatively open msconfig as stated above and got o the startup tab and uncheck any boxes which look like they relate to your ATI control center. Then try to boot you computer and see what happens.

NOTE: you will get a popup saying 'system configuration has been changed' when you restart just tick the box and click OK.

hope i helped

computer1000

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 05:56:30 PM »
          Ok I did that but I don't see the tab for BOOT.INI

I have Tabs called: General, System.INI, WIN.INI, Services, Startup but no BOOT.INI

Oh for an update I fixed the ATI Control Center problem all it took was an uninstall but I still have this BOOT.INI error message.

bayern

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 08:56:06 PM »
          If you only have a one harddrive on your computer, your boot.ini file should look like this:

[boot loader]
          timeout=30
          default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
          [operating systems]
          multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

B.