Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Excel Help for sums..  (Read 2436 times)

ttwwpp

Excel Help for sums..
« on: April 28, 2007, 08:54:51 AM »
First let me stat that I am a true novice at Excel.  With that in mind, my question might be quite simple to answer.  I am working on a program to keep stats for a baseball team.  I have one page where the Year to Date stats will appear.   Then I have a page for each game (60 games).  What I would like is the YTD to tally each game.  I can manually enter the formula such as  ='1'!B4+'2'!B4+'3'!B4+'4'!B4+'5'!B4+'6'!B4+'7'!B4+'8'!B4  to add the games for the person on the 4th row through the first 8 games.  My question, is there a simple SUM forumula I can add without typing each and every 60 games for each and every player??   Hope this isn't too confusing..
Thanks for any help..
Tim

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Excel Help for sums..
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 10:06:45 AM »
I just did a test with Excel 2003.  I opened a new Excel file (containing 3 sheets by default) and added 3 more sheets.  I did not change the sheet names, so they are Sheet1 through Sheet6.

In cell A1 in Sheet1 through Sheet5, I entered a 5.  Then, in Sheet6, cell A1, I entered =SUM(Sheet1:Sheet5!A1).  This created the desired result in Sheet6, cell A1, which is the sum of the cell A1 in Sheet1 through Sheet5, or 25 (5x5). 

I then went to cell A2 in Sheet1 through Sheet5 and entered 6.  So, I need to add the formula in Sheet6, cell A2 to display the result, which would be 30.  To do this, I merely copy the formula in Sheet6, cell A1 to Sheet6, cell A2.  Excel updates the formula to =SUM(Sheet1:Sheet5!A2). 

This should make your task much easier.  Let me know if you have any problem creating your formulas or if you have further questions about the procedure.

ttwwpp

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 10:54:43 AM »
Thanks for the help.. I've almost got it now.  If you don't mind, can you tell me the SUM formula you would use for the following spreadsheet. 

I want sheet 1 to be the total of all sheets say 1-5.  In column A Row 1 will be the names of the player, thus no data.  But column B would count games.  So if I add 1 game to sheet 2, column B row 1 for this player, and do this for sheet 3, 4, 5, I would want Sheet 1 to total 4 games. 

Thanks again for your help!!
Tim

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 12:31:28 PM »
If I understand you correctly, the formula would be basically the same as the ones in my first post.  In B1 of Sheet1, you would have =SUM(Sheet2:Sheet5!B1)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 12:47:58 PM by soybean »