Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CRC error  (Read 4219 times)

leviathan

CRC error
« on: May 08, 2007, 05:19:35 AM »
I just bought a computer with Windows Vista. Half the programs I try to install come up with an error saying "CRC Error: The file c:\xxx.xxx doesn't match the file in the setup's .cab file. The medium from which you are installing may be corrupted; contact your software vendor."

This error comes up when installing from CDs, DVDs, downloaded setup files from the Internet, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

Any reason why this is happening? Could it be a hardware problem? I've run a harddrive diagnostic + RAM diagnostic without finding anything.

MY PC: 2.8 ghz Pentium D w/ 1GB Ram, 250GB HD, Windows Vista 32-bit OS, LG DVD R/W.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: CRC error
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 05:29:44 AM »
Found your problem!! You bought a Vista Computer.....

Vista has very little hardware and software support. Probably more than half your programs won't work on Vista however i'm not 100% sure on that one.
Wait a bit and you might get an answer.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: CRC error
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 06:21:29 AM »
CRC errors mean the file is corrupt but this usually only happens with DLoaded files...i haven't seen it on CD's unless there is a mis-aligned laser and it is not reading properly.

I would return the machine immediately and exercise the warranty for a replacement machine.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "