Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Motherboard  (Read 2519 times)

yeyomh

New Motherboard
« on: May 15, 2007, 10:14:36 PM »
I have a Dell Optiplex GX240 wich I bought a new motherboard and its giving me an error with my 2 x 512 ram, I had this intalled in previous motherboard without any problem and actually is still working in another computer, the mother board is te exctly same as the previous one but for some reason I can't use my RAM.. it works with 2 x 256 tho.. do I have to do an update or something because is new??

thanx in advanced

Joe_Flanagan

Re: New Motherboard
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 10:36:03 PM »
If these are the same modules and the board is identical, then it's possible that the previous board had a more current BIOS.
You will have to determine your BIOS version (date) and see if your computer mfr (if manufactured) or your board mfr (if custom) has a BIOS listing with release notes.

From the release notes you may be able to determine if you need to flash BIOS for the larger memory module support.
Contact the mfr if you are not sure.
Do not risk flashing BIOS unless it is absolutely needed.

If these are different modules, then it's possible that they aren't compatible.
Use the appropriate memory configurator to verify compatibility.

yeyomh

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 10:56:12 PM »
Thanx.. There is an update for the BIOS, I need to do a bootable floppy but I don't have a floppy drive, is there a way to do a bootable DVD instead of a floppy??

here is the file and the instruccions.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=mx&l=es&s=gen&releaseid=R46649&SystemID=PLX_PNT_P4_GX240&servicetag=HBVS511&os=WW1&osl=sp&deviceid=162&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=5&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=2&libid=1&fileid=54751

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 03:56:35 AM »
What happened to the previous motherboard which required replacing? What BIOS is on there now?

I have a GX-240 and it is a solid workhorse.  ;)

Netori

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 07:56:27 AM »
This usually happens when you install an old memory to a new mboard. Try removing the memory and reinstall it again. Make sure you insert it properly. wiping the memory conductors before installing it might help. Beware of Electro static discharge (ESD) however.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 05:00:44 PM »
What?  ::) ::) ::) ::)

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 05:03:10 PM »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 05:09:46 PM »
At least everyone will have shiny clean RAM contacts...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 05:42:43 PM »
I have NEVER had that happen and I am sure I installed RAM since before he was born.  ::)