Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows operating systems  (Read 2221 times)

halfbuck

Windows operating systems
« on: May 18, 2007, 12:40:45 PM »
I have windows XP operating system, I bought a harddrive used and I keep getting a message that says I don't have a genuine copy of the windows XP. I keep getting this message.
I have a copy of Windows ME that is genuine. My question is, Can I install the windows ME version over the XP version and if I can will it delete all the information that I have saved on my computer?

M1CH431

Hopeful
  • DuffMan!!!
    Re: Windows operating systems
    « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 01:53:16 PM »
    What you'll have to do is format the drive, which will get rid of all data so make sure you get all that you want first. Then install Windows ME. What happens is Windows won't allow you to install an older version of Windows if a newer version is present.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows operating systems
    « Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 02:29:59 PM »
    Easiest way to prepare that drive for ME if you have a floppy drive is to DLoad a WinME bootdisk from bootdisk.com.
    Double click the DLoaded file with a fresh floppy in the drive and it will create the bootdisk.
    Re-boot and at the A: prompt type in format C: /U and hit Enter.
    When it finishes, remove the floppy, put in your ME CD and re-boot...
    The install should start immediately.

p.s. Because it is a used HDD i would also DLoad the manuf. diagnostic utilities for that drive free from the manuf. website and run them...

You wouldn't want to go thru all this only to find the drive has problems...

Good Luck...let us know.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "