Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Whats a client and whats a host?  (Read 3818 times)

Echo

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Addicted to online games
    • Experience: Beginner
    Whats a client and whats a host?
    « on: May 26, 2007, 11:29:47 AM »
    Im in over my head, but willing to learn.  I have 2 pcs and would like to connect them to share the internet and all files. I bought a router..its called Linksys. These r my 1st problems:
    1. Which computer is the Client and which is the host?
    2. I keep getting a message whick is as follows "local area connection 2 a network cable is unplugged" Its on both computers on the system tray. I have gone over and over then connections several times and cant figure out what is not plugged in. Can someone give me an in depth discription (in easy language) of what cables go where?
    thank you...plz dont flame me to badly :P
    Computer: Windows 7 ultimate/SP3,/680i lite Sli mobo/512MB DDR3 NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX/  (2GB kit (1GB x 2 Balistix 240-pin DIMM (ALIENWARE) (12/10 new hd)-seagate barracuda 7200.2 1 TB -7200rpm 32mbcache sata 3.0gb 3.5 Internal harddrive

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Whats a client and whats a host?
    « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 12:44:01 PM »
    1. Neither computer needs to be designated host or client.  They are simply both connected to the router.  With the router, there's no need to connect one computer to the other for shared Internet connection.  Connect them both to the router.

2.  Connect both computers to the router.  The router is then connected to the modem.  Did you use the cable that came with the modem to connect to the router?  Are you using standard Cat5 cables to connect to the computers to the router?

Will your ISP give you any support in setting this up?  I believe some modems require re-configuration to work with a router.