Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unwanted Sounds- unkown source  (Read 2452 times)

silverpaws

Unwanted Sounds- unkown source
« on: June 03, 2007, 01:40:41 PM »
Yesterday afternoon, I went on the computer like any other time i would, did noting different than i normally would, and all of a sudden, i hear this "boop beep, boop beep" sound. Its usually the sound heard when a window pops up, or an alert window, or something along those lines, but nothing popped up. It continued and continued, and is still going on right now. I have tried deleting temporary internet files, and cookies, which made it stop for a little while, but then it began again. I did a spyware/trojan scan, and a virus scan, and yet still nothing. I have restarted my computer, and also that did nothing. I also tried to see if it was something with the speakers, by going to control panel>> sounds and audio devices, but that did not help. I dont know what else to do. Can someone please help me?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Unwanted Sounds- unkown source
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 01:59:15 PM »
That sound could be an alarm from the motherboard....sometimes indicating a fan failure or other problem.
Stop using the machine to prevent further damage. If you are unfamiliar with the inner workings of your computer have someone who is take a look inside.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

silverpaws

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 02:01:03 PM »
o: come to think of it....

The fan did make a big wooooshing sound that wouldnt stop untill i turned off the computer. Is there anything else i can do?

I dont hear the fan running now...

The motherboard was just replaced though.
Is there anything else it might be?

Edit: The fan is running... and my computer doesnt feel hot, or overheated or anything.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 02:27:49 PM »
There are more than one fans in a computer. Remove all power sources whenever working inside a computer.
Remove a side panel and or the case itself to be able to see them all.
Who replaced the MBoard ? ?
If the work is under warranty i would certainly consider this option.

silverpaws

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 02:33:14 PM »
The computer was sent off to Compaq to get it replaced. It was only just 3 days ago.

I did take the side panel off, and i did unplug all power sources.

Currently, i dont hear the sound, and im wondering why.

Im very confused right now, and now, i haven't a clue what could be the problem, or what to do if it starts up again.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 04:31:26 PM »
Just to make sure i understand correctly...the machine we are talking about now is a replacement for one that was returned to Compaq ? ?

You may be going thru that process again.

I know it's a hassle but something still is not right.

silverpaws

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 06:07:23 PM »
No, the computer right now is the one that was sent off to compaq to be fixed, and i just got it back 3 days ago.
The sound seems to have stopped though, and im not sure why it stopped, or what it was from in the first place. I hope it doesnt come back...  :-X

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 06:18:17 PM »
At any rate check your documentation for info on MBoard alarms to determine what it may have been...

silverpaws

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 06:35:23 PM »
Oh! i think i know what it was....

I went to use my pen tablet about 30 minutes ago, and it didnt work. Then, i unplugged it, and plugged it back in, and then the beeping stopped, and my pen tablet worked. o:

You think that could have been it?

and... Mboards?