Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NON DISK DISK ERROR  (Read 5083 times)

nowbforeal

NON DISK DISK ERROR
« on: June 16, 2007, 03:45:15 PM »
Compaq Evo N800c
Pentium 4this mote book is briniging up the erro message that  there is a non disk or disk error and to please replace and strike any key when ready
Please help me i do not know more of what went on before but just that when he turned it off then it said the above statement and there is no disk in it and  i tried to install the Operating cd then it says no hard drives located! help please

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
    Re: NON DISK DISK ERROR
    « Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 06:22:51 AM »
    Hi, this message usually is because the bios is looking for the wrong system storage location. in the bios there will be a choice of FLOPPY, CD, HARD DRIVE, NETWORK, for example as the message comes up when booting it could be that there is a cd set as 1st boot device and you have a different cd in the cddrive the bios looks at whats on the cd , then declares that it is a non system device or non system disk.
      It looks like you could have either damaged your hard drive and then lost what is on it including the system files that are required to boot from. can you see in the bios if the harddrive is showing in the list.
      Have you started an installation of windows and then stopped before allowing it to finish?
      When starting the Notebook can you see on the screen display a list of the boot process?
     This usually starts with a lot of numbers and then the search for drives, the drives are found the displayed and the boot process continues.
    HP/Compaq method of testing for a hard drive is as follows:-

to Test your hard drive

Use the following steps to test your hard drive:

1.  Restart the notebook PC.

2.When the HP or Compaq logo screen displays, press the F10 key repeatedly. The System BIOS Options Menu will appear.

3. When the System BIOS Options Menu is displayed, select Tools using the arrow keys.
             4. Select Hard Drive Test.

The hard drive test will run a short test and a long test. The entire test may take 45 - 60 minutes to complete. To properly diagnose the hard drive, the entire test must be run.

Try the test and tell us what happens, 
    do not change anything in the bios without asking or finding out what could be right or wrong.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 06:54:34 AM by uesquebeathus »
    Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 08:07:58 AM »
    Has this laptop gotten jolted lately ? ?
    Dropped maybe ? ?

Check the manuf. site for instructions on the HDD access panel and carefully re-seat your HDD.

Remember to do this with all power sources removed.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

nowbforeal

Dive does not support self test
    « Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 10:02:25 PM »
    my laptop  now says this error Dive does not support self test when i tried to go to the bios then tools then  Hdd self test its not allowing me to do either the qick nor the long version of self tests it simply says for either that   Dive does not support self test
    what in the worl is this now?
    oh yes my boss son said it had dropped during travel in the luggage but it was working  ok after just making a bit of a noise..but then it just stopped and started saying the NON disk  disk error message please help

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
      « Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 06:04:47 AM »
      pity he did not try for an insurance damage assessment and get it replaced probably to late now, any noise from a laptop or notebook sounds like trouble, have a look at the connections for the harddrive, battery, etc see if there is something loose or broken. even if you can swap with another harddrive to eliminate the drive, the cooling fan also could be damaged causing overheating, there are not many components that are capable of making a noise, repairs to notebooks are about the same expense as buying a new one.
      Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 05:19:39 PM »
      Has this laptop gotten jolted lately ? ?
      Dropped maybe ? ?

Check the manuf. site for instructions on the HDD access panel and carefully re-seat your HDD.

Remember to do this with all power sources removed.

Seriously...i would look into doing this. It may have landed harder than anyone is admitting.

nowbforeal

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 09:24:09 AM »
      its no longer making a noise but its  stlll saying that non disk errror message  and whe i ry to do the rtest it says no  drive test does support selftest . and it says it f i try the quick or th elong version please help

TehGerg

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 09:31:02 AM »
      pull the hd out and swap it into a different laptop if you have one.  Or pickup a conversion kit for it to use it as a usb drive and run a diagnostics on it.  The drive sounds like it is hosed to me.

nowbforeal

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 09:35:33 AM »
      thanks Greg that sounds like a grreat idea and i do know of one that i can get but i was gonna do that but this one is pull out while the other one is screw out i think are most drives compatible
      are there some thats too big like the one i am thinking of is a  inspiron

TehGerg

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 09:58:56 AM »
      All laptop hard drives are the same size.  Sometimes they will have a converter on the pins on the actual hd this just slides off like a giant jumper.  More then likely if you swap it into a different laptop it is not going to boot because windows xp + different hardware = i am going to give you a BSOD thank you have a nice day.  but you can at least you can do a hard drive diagnostics on the drive or see if it will recognize.  Take note of the hd brand because you will need the diagnostics for that drive if the laptop sees it.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 01:11:30 PM »
      Grab one of these...

and you can hook it up as a slave on an IDE connector on any desktop machine...then run your diagnostics.

About 8 or 10 bucks at any computer store. Laptop 2.5" HDD to IDE adapter.