Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blank line in start up list  (Read 2863 times)

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
    Blank line in start up list
    « on: June 30, 2007, 06:53:19 AM »
    What does it mean when you have a blank line item in your start up list. There is a check box that is checked but the item and command are blank.
    Memories fade with time, replenish them with new experiences.

contrex

Re: Blank line in start up list
    « Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 07:04:12 AM »
    It could mean that a trojan has been planted. Uncheck it and reboot and see (1) if anything odd happens (2) if it comes back.

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
      « Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 05:52:54 PM »
      I unchecked the box on the blank line and rebooted. Everything seems to be working fine and the blank line now shows up at the bottom of the list in the non-active items.
      The location shows up as UKCU/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/run. Isn't that a registry location and should it be deleted?

contrex

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 02:14:23 AM »
      It's a registry location which contains a list of startup tasks. Some of these you want, some you possibly don't. When you unchecked the box, you disabled that item. It would not be a good idea to simply delete that whole part of the registry.

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
        « Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 01:01:41 PM »
        I wasn't talking about deleteing the whole section only the blank line if I could find it. I don't know that much about editing the reg so I would never attempt to do that anyway. I have it unchecked so I will well enough alone. Thanks for your help. Can you recommend any good sites or books that deal with working / editing the registry. Thanks again.