Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: non-fan related noise coming from power supply  (Read 2401 times)

esocid

non-fan related noise coming from power supply
« on: September 04, 2006, 08:49:30 PM »
Ok, this started maybe 2-3 months ago with an "electronic scratching" noise coming from the vicinity of the power supply. I don't believe it is fan related, and hopefully it isn't a capacitor. It will respond to certain actions that I perform like moving the cursor around or increased cpu usage. It will however cease when my video card is under a heavy load, but it does not come from the gpu. The only info I have found about this has been with Mac users, which however I am not. Anyone out there have any ideas as to what is causing this, or how to resolve it?

homer

Expert
    Re: non-fan related noise coming from power supply
    « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 10:53:17 PM »
    well its definately NOT going to be a capacitor. i would suggest cleaning ALL the fans in the comp unless you zeroed it down to the one fan making the noise. (you know, take the shot-gun approach, if you dont know which one is doing it, do all of them! :))

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 01:24:14 AM »
    Are you quite certain this is not induction noise being generated by the internal speaker?  Have you tried disconnecting it?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

esocid

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 11:31:22 PM »
    Sorry for the lapse of time since last posting, but I have been away. I did figure out the problem, only after a capacitor exploded in my psu. homer...ahem.... just kidding. anyway I got a new psu and no noise is present, except for the normal kinds. Anyways thanks for the help.