Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Memory Issue  (Read 5794 times)

ButrBiscut

Re: Memory Issue
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 07:56:11 PM »
There's a free program out there called CPU-Z.  Something you may want to take a look at.

It gathers information about your CPU, Mainboard, System and Memory.

Here's what it checks when it comes to memory:

1)  Frequency and timings.
2)  Module(s) specification using SPD (Serial Presence Detect) : vendor, serial number, timings table.

Any variations between modules will be displayed.

There's also the possibility that one of those modules does not conform with the other three, hence...why BIOS and Windows do not show the full 4GB.

Give CPU-Z a shot...

What've you got to lose?

CPU-Z is awesome - perfect for a slightly compulsive (and controlling) person like me.  According to the program all 4GB of memory are recognized in the slots and are working, all the specs are exactly the same for each memory module.

Thank you for the idea though, I'm keeping CPU-Z for future uses as well.

ButrBiscut

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 08:51:55 PM »
Also, I did notice in CUP-Z that the PC3200 RAM is showing as 200MHz instead of the 400MHz we bought.

Anyone know anything about a result like that?  And would that affect the memory count?

Edited:  Nevermind, apparently that has something to do with the dual-channel mode.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 09:08:24 PM by ButrBiscut »

DeltaSlaya

Apprentice
  • Google
    « Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 02:40:58 AM »
    I don't think this has been mentioned but its something you could try.

Start with removing the power cable and then grounding yourself and opening the case. Then remove all RAM sticks. Place one in the socket closest to the CPU. Check, should be 1gB. Continue this until there is missing 'RAM'. If you have a remaining stick swap it with the previous one and if the problem still occurs, if it does then either your motherboard does not support something, has a jumper setting wrong, BIOS setting is wrong or not latest version (in which this problem was fixed?). Or, I think more likely you have an edition of XP that does not support the amount of RAM you are inserting.

Personally, I would like some justification as to why 4gB of RAM is required, as that is a rather large amount for a home PC...
    System specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (up to 3.3 stock V and air)
    ASUS Striker Extreme
    XFX 8600GT XXX Edition
    2x 1gB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
    Seagate Barracuda 320gB SATA
    Raidmax Ninja 918 (520W ATXV2.0 PSU)
    -

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #18 on: July 14, 2007, 03:39:41 AM »
      Edit (I've changed my answer)
      I've been doing some researching on this issue and there seems to be a lot of confusion and trouble with win xp and 4 gigs of ram. The following page explains why you're not seeing the full 4 gigs of ram.

http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.asp?qid=4251

So basically you can't utilize the full 4 gigs of ram.
      « Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 04:00:34 AM by Deerpark »
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

The Saviour

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2007, 06:33:39 AM »
      Edit (I've changed my answer)
      I've been doing some researching on this issue and there seems to be a lot of confusion and trouble with win xp and 4 gigs of ram. The following page explains why you're not seeing the full 4 gigs of ram.

http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.asp?qid=4251

So basically you can't utilize the full 4 gigs of ram.

That's not the issue here, though.  He has 4GB installed.  Neither the BIOS nor the PC is seeing the full 4GB.  Read the first post.  There's a full Gig of memory missing.

I'd try this...

Rearrange the memory in their slots one at a time.  See if this solves the problem.  Latency and frequency differences may cause the additional RAM not to be recognized.

Here's a read:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic38345.html

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 12:18:09 PM »
        But both the online tool at IBM and CPU-Z recognizes the full 4 gigs. Why the bios isn't reporting the correct amount is puzzling but I think it must be a bug in the bios, because if a module wasn't working there is no way the other tools could report 4 gigs.
        Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
        Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)