Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need to fix lid latch on laptop  (Read 5219 times)

DarkMSTie

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Need to fix lid latch on laptop
    « on: July 14, 2007, 10:03:34 PM »
    I have a Toshiba Tecra A8 laptop, the lid latches are broken. I believe I found a place to buy the part from, which wasn't an easy feat in itself. www.sparepartswarehouse.com is the place, good place? no? Anyway, the laptop screen needs to be removed somehow in order to install the part, which I haven't done. I was wondering if anybody in here has repaired theirs, or know how and could explain. There's a semi-local authorized toshiba repair shop, but the part is like $10 and the labor fee is like $90, seems kinda out of whack, so I want to do it myself. Repairing desktops isn't a problem for me, but I haven't really tinkered with laptops until recently and it's pretty new and I don't want to break it yet :P...well more so..

I did a bunch of googling but haven't really found anything that was much help. There a standard way to take off the screen or does it vary immensely by make/model?

The Saviour

Re: Need to fix lid latch on laptop
    « Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 06:36:58 AM »
    The standard on most laptops is to remove the outside case, but there are other parts you need to remove first before doing that.

Google online for a Repair or Maintenance Manual for your particular laptop.  They're relatively cheap.  Follow the instructions in the manual and you'll be set.

DarkMSTie

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 02:44:32 PM »
      Whew, that took forever. Finally found the service manual, was about 5 bux. Looks like it'll look great. Thanks for the tip :)

The Saviour

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 02:21:22 PM »
      You're welcome...