Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Difference between ATX and Micro ATX  (Read 5415 times)

beanhead07

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    Difference between ATX and Micro ATX
    « on: July 26, 2007, 07:12:42 AM »
    What exactly is the size difference between the ATX and Micro ATX motherboard? My friend is getting a new MB and I'm trying to figure out which one he needs. Mine is an ATX but I can't really tell that much of a difference. Thanks for any help guys!
    If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Difference between ATX and Micro ATX
    « Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 08:40:06 AM »
    A Micro ATX motherboard is smaller in dimensions than an ATX motherboard and, therefore, will have fewer expansion slots.  At most, you could have 3 PCI slots on a  microATX board and many will only have 2 PCI slots, while a many full ATX boards will have 5 PCI slots. 

The critical issue in deciding which motherboard to get is your computer case.  "Full tower" ATX cases will always accommodate ATX motherboards.  Most, but not all,  Mid-tower cases will also accommodate ATX motherboards.  However, mini-tower cases will most likely only accommodate microATX boards, although some will accommodate ATX boards. 

A microATX board can be often be installed in a full or mid tower ATX case; however, I suggest you verify this before buying a microATX board to put in a full or mid tower ATX case.  If you do this type of installation, you'll just have some slot openings on the back of your case that will never be used.