Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP and DSL  (Read 2249 times)

culloekee

Windows XP and DSL
« on: August 04, 2007, 06:41:22 PM »
My brother has a laptop with 128M of RAM. The computer was working fine on dialup, but when he went with DSL windows says it has encountered a problem and must close after he tries to do a Goggle search or tries to browse. He can get to his Yahoo email fine and send and receive, but browser not working. He was told 128M is not enough with XP. Is this true?

Richenstony

Re: Windows XP and DSL
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 07:29:34 PM »
Scan your computer here http://www.crucial.com/ , and check your ram , that doesnt sound right , im not 100% sure but did your computer come with that terbbile amount of ram .......

Tony :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 05:12:24 AM »
Tell him to try and shut down any unneccessary programs running in the background such as screen savers, eye candy and anything not needed in the tray area.
He is running XP on the bare minimum and will continue to have issues.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 02:13:35 PM »
I suspect that it is not an issue with the speed and the amounts of data comming into the computer, since a dialup connection takes in the same amount, just at a lower rate.

I suspect it was how the connection was set up..

Go to Start> Control Panel> "Internet Options"
Select "Connections"
Click "LAN Settings"
and select "Automatically detect proxy settings"

Click OK

Delete any dialup connections on the dialup list (That is if you dont use them anymore)

Still not working?
It could be a problem with the connection protocols that Windows uses to connect to the Internet, FTP, HTTP, FILE, etc
How you fix that?
I have no idea, but something I learned from Patio:
Click Start> Run
Type:
sfc /scannow
Press ENTER
(Have your XP Installation disk ready)

smlh89450

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 04:34:08 PM »
    Getting back to the issue with RAM, Microsoft recommends 128 MB of RAM for Windows XP, but you should really think about upgrading to at least 512 MB since RAM is relatively inexpensive and easy to get.